These were the 5 worst performing cryptos over the past week amid stablecoin collapse
- While bitcoin and ethereum dominate the headlines, there are more than 19,000
- With less liquidity and more volatility, these alternative
cryptocurrenciescan deliver investors massive losses or gains in a short period of time.
- These were the five worst performing cryptocurrencies over the past week, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
Bitcoin's bear market has sucked the life out of many popular cryptocurrencies, with the total crypto market capitalization falling from $3 trillion to around $1.2 trillion today.
With more than 19,000 cryptocurrencies in existence and counting, there are more than triple the number of crypto coins than there are US exchange-listed stocks. That massive amount of supply makes it nearly impossible to keep track of all the big movers in the crypto sector outside of well known coins like bitcoin, ether, and dogecoin.
The surge in new crypto coins came amid a massive bull market for the sector in 2021, but a more than 50% decline in bitcoin from its November high is challenging the space, especially in smaller coins that saw extraordinary gains last year like solana, cardano, and polkadot.
The implosion of Luna and its related stablecoin, Terra, has also dented confidence in the crypto space and has led to a brief depegging of Tether's
With less liquidity and more volatility, these alternative cryptocurrencies can deliver investors massive losses or gains in a short period of time. For example, squid game token fell 99% in a single day last year after delivering swift gains of 75,000%.
Keeping an eye on the weekly winners and losers can help investors identify which coins are beginning to gain and lose traction in the crypto community.
These were the five worst performing cryptocurrencies with a market value of more than $1 billion over the past week, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
Market Value: $2.1 billion
7-Day Performance: -50.9%
Market Value: $2.6 billion
7-Day Performance: -51.6%
Market Value: $1.3 billion
7-Day Performance: -53.1%
Market Value: $5.1 billion
7-Day Performance: -57.4%
Market Value: $53.2 million (lost ~$30 billion)
7-Day Performance: -99.7%
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani