Vitalik Buterin talks dogecoin, analyzes Elon Musk's crypto strategy, and plays down crypto's ability to change the world, in a new interview. Here are the 10 best quotes.
John Phillips/Getty Images for TechCrunch
Ethereumcocreator Vitalik Buterintalked about all things cryptoin a Lex Fridman podcast.
- He told the AI researcher that governments can't ban blockchains but can marginalize crypto.
- He discussed Elon Musk's crypto strategy and the response to his burning shiba inu coins.
Ethereum cocreator Vitalik Buterin revealed that he is open to a collaboration between ethereum and
View all Offers
View all Offers
- 35% OFF
Duroflex LiveIn - Pressure Relieving, Memory Foam, Roll Pack, 6 Inch King Size Medium Firm Mattress with Superior Comfort and Anti Microbial Fabric (72 X 72 X 6 Inches)₹ 11759₹ 19999Buy On
- 32% OFF
AVRO FURNITURE 7756 Plastic Chair | Set of 2 | Matt and Gloss Pattern | for Dining Room, Bedroom, Kitchen, Living Room | Bearing Capacity up to 150Kg | Strong & Sturdy Structure₹ 1509₹ 1999Buy On
- 45% OFF
Amazon Brand - Solimo Swerve Height Adjustable Plastic Laptop & Utility Table with Cup Holder (Black)₹ 1169₹ 2200Buy On
- 31% OFF
Nilkamal Freedom Mini Medium Plastic Cabinet Brown , 2 Doors₹ 4699₹ 6500Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Alen 6 Seater Fabric RHS L Shape Sofa Set (Blue)₹ 32999₹ 42000Buy On
In the three-hour conversation, the pair also discussed Buterin's burning of almost half of all shiba inu coins, regulatory pressures in the crypto industry, and nonfungible tokens.
Here are Buterin's 10 best quotes from the podcast, lightly edited for clarity:
- "I definitely don't think ethereum is opposed to dog coins. I kind of want the fans to feel like ethereum is - at least a little bit - in spirit itself a dog coin." - on whether he fears dogecoin
- "If doge wants to somehow bridge to ethereum, and then people can trade doge thousands of times a second inside a loop ring, then that would be amazing." - on the potential for collaboration between dogecoin and ethereum
- "There's a lot more wrong with the world than just money. I'm not one of these people who thinks that if you get rid of fiat currency and you replace it with cryptocurrency, then suddenly wars are going to go away."
- "So you reduce the government's revenue by 10%. If the government is that evil, which portion of its expenses is it going to take that 10% from? Is it going to stop bombing people in Afghanistan, or is it going to cut welfare? If you think its the first, you have a very optimistic view of the government." - on the effects of cutting into governments' revenue as a consequence of replacing fiat currencies with cryptocurrency
- "It'll just become and be incorporated in the same way as happened with the internet."- on the ideal outcome for the acceptance of blockchain by society and governments
- "I don't think governments have the ability to ban crypto to the extent of just completely preventing blockchains from existing. But they definitely have the ability to really marginalize it." - on the worst-case scenario for government regulation
- "You would make a mistake if you were to ascribe too much sophisticated malevolence or any deep intentionality to the whole process. He's just a human being, and he likes dogs just like I like dogs." - on Elon Musk's crypto strategy and support for dogecoin
- "I'm sure that if they stay in the cryptocurrency system at all, then they have to at some point." - on whether Tesla and SpaceX will consider ethereum in the future
- "Obviously, there's parallel universes in which I did better. But at the same time, there's also lots of parallel universes where - because I hesitated more and tried to spend more time thinking I missed the opportunity." - on whether he handled donating shiba inu tokens in the right way
- "For every poster that was saying 'No, no - why did Vitalik rug pull on us? His wallet was supposed to be a burn address,' there were 10 people that were, like, 'Oh, I thought I was just in this because it's a fun pyramid-gambling thing, but instead I ended up being part of this great public good thing for humanity, and that's even more amazing'. The amount of that that I got was very impressive. So all in all, I think the dog people did great." - on the reaction of the shiba inu community to his burning and donating coins
Investments in crypto hit a new record of $17 billion, but Indian funds are yet to jump on the bandwagon
Chiacoin claims to be an eco-friendly cryptocurrency — here's how it works
Is a ban on cryptocurrencies even possible?
Even as Latin America embraces Bitcoin, Southeast Asia is clamping down on cryptocurrencies
Popular on BI
- Ethereum may not have too long to get its high gas fee issue in check, according to JPMorgan
- Terra's LUNA token continues to hold its own even in a crypto bear market — here's why
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25
- HUL spent Rs 1,193 crore on advertising between October and December 2021
- Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant and Ravichandran Ashwin included in ICC Men's Test team of the Year 2021