Data reveals alleged white supremacists are behind nearly all cases of race-based domestic terrorism in 2018
REUTERS / Jonathan Ernst
- Justice Department data reveals that alleged white supremacists were behind nearly all race-based cases of domestic terrorism in 2018, according to Yahoo News.
- Lawmakers in Congress who requested similar information claimed the Justice Department never responded to their demands.
- "I'm troubled by the lack of transparency, given that we haven't received this critical information after several requests to the FBI and DOJ," Democratic Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey wrote in an email to Yahoo News.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In a section that lists suspects by ideology - such as white supremacy and anti-government - 24 of them were labeled as alleged white supremacists. One appeared to be blacked out.The release of this document comes as law enforcement agencies investigate the shooting in El Paso, Texas, as a possible hate crime. According to officials, the shooting suspect may be connected to a racist manifesto, which was published online prior to the Walmart shooting which left 22 people dead.
handling of domestic terrorism, particularly instances connected to white supremacy, as civil rights groups warn that the ideology and violence is on the rise.Congressional lawmakers who previously requested similar information about the violence and alleged white supremacists told Yahoo News that the Justice Department did not respond to their demands.
"I'm troubled by the lack of transparency, given that we haven't received this critical information after several requests to the FBI and DOJ," Democratic Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey wrote to Yahoo News in an email. "They cannot and should not remain silent in the face of such a dangerous threat."
A spokesperson from the Justice Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment from INSIDER.
Read the data from Yahoo News:
- SEBI asks PNB Housing to halt ₹4,000 crore preferential issue of shares
- Word Music Day 2021: Importance, history, memorable quotes and how to celebrate it during a pandemic
- International Yoga Day — this year’s theme is ‘Yoga for well-being’
- International Yoga Day 2021 — a few quotes to remember and share
- India witnesses decline in daily COVID-19 cases with 58,419 fresh cases, lowest in last 81 days