7 wars that defined the decade and changed how we fight around the world
- The past decade has tested military alliances and brought on threats few could have imagined.
- ISIS's use of social media to recruit fighters and disseminate propaganda was unprecedented, Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte's government has relied on Facebook disinformation to bolster support for his drug war and disparage his enemies.
- Russia has used both Syria and Ukraine as testing fields for hardware and propaganda campaigns.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
The past decade has tested military alliances and brought 0n threats few could have imagined.In many ways, the principles of conflict never change - there is always an enemy to be vanquished, and the consequences are always tragic. But in the past decade, technology re-defined how we fight most of our conflicts. Advertisement
From North Korea's nuclear threats to Syria's chaotic battlefield, here are the conflicts that have defined our decade.
Ukraine has become a laboratory for Russia's advanced warfare.
Syria's longstanding quagmire of a civil war has gone through several battlefield iterations.Advertisement
ISIS changed the game with its social media recruiting strategy.
President Rodrigo Duterte's drug war in the Philippines has killed thousands and shocked human rights advocates.Advertisement
China's well on its way to surpassing the US military, thanks to technological investment — and good, old-fashioned intellectual property theft.
North Korea has amped up its weapons testing under Kim Jong Un, pushing it closer to the brink of war with the US.Advertisement
Iran's strategy of employing proxy militias in wars throughout the Middle East has helped destabilize the region and fueled some of the worst conflicts there.
- 1,002 new coronavirus cases, 39 deaths reported in Mumbai
- C'garh: 68 new COVID-19 cases push count to 361
- Covid tally in Ker touches 963; 67 new cases,over 1 lakh under observation
- Pune COVID-19 cases up by 327 to 6,480; death toll 289
- Passenger on IndiGo's Chennai-Coimbatore flight tests COVID positive; airline 'grounds' crew