A Russian soldier shot dead 8 colleagues and injured 2 others at a military base in Siberia
- A serviceman in Russia shot dead eight of his colleagues at a military base in Siberia, according to the country's defense ministry.
- Two others were injured in the attack.
- Russia's Interfax news agency said the shooting came after the soldier suffered a "nervous breakdown caused by personal issues."
- The attack took place in the Transbaikal region, according to media reports. Transbaikal is in the far south east of Siberia, close to Russia's border with Mongolia.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A Russian soldier has shot dead eight soldiers at a military base in the far east of the country, according to Russian media citing the country's defence ministry.Two others were injured in the attack, which the Interfax news agency said came after the soldier suffered a "nervous breakdown caused by personal issues." Advertisement
Russian news agency TASS reported that the shooting took place at a military garrison in Chita, Siberia, which is about 4,000 miles from Moscow and near Russia's border with Mongolia.
"At 6:20 p.m. local time on October 25, a serviceman of the repair and maintenance base stationed on the territory of the Trans-Baikal Region opened fire against his fellow servicemen from this service firearm during a change of the guard," the Russian defense ministry said, according to TASS."As a result, eight servicemen were killed on the spot while two others received wounds of various severity."
He has been detained, Interfax added, citing the Russian defence ministry.More follows ...
- There are five companies making Favipiravir now — and it is good for supply and prices
- Best 5,000mAh battery smartphones
- India's COVID-19 recovery rate rises to 67.62% and case fatality rate drops to 2.07%
- BCCI, Vivo suspend IPL partnership for one year, may resume next year
- Wipro teams up with Intel to cash in on the increasing demand for work from home