China reportedly released 10 Indian soldiers from its custody after the clash in Galwan Valley

Advertisement
China reportedly released 10 Indian soldiers from its custody after the clash in Galwan Valley
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar pays his respect to the mortal remains of martyrs who among 20 Indian soldiers killed in a clash with Chinese forces in Galwan Valley along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh region on June 1IANS
  • 10 Indian soldiers, including a Lieutenant Colonel and three Majors, have been released from Chinese custody.
  • They were reportedly captured during the clash between India and China along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Galwan Valley on June 15.
  • India’s Ministry of External Affairs has clarified to say that no India troops were missing in action.
The India-China clash along the border in Galwan Valley didn’t only result in casualties, but also in the Chinese capturing some of India’s troops. After three rounds of negotiations at Major General-level, officials told The Hindu that 10 Indian soldiers — including a Lieutenant Colonel and three Majors — have been released to come back home.


It reports that the soldiers were released unharmed at around 5:00 pm on June 18. This is the first time since the Sino-India war of 1962 that Indian soldiers have been taken into custody by China.

Officials told The Indian Express that upon their return, the soldiers were medically examined and provided a preliminary debriefing.
Advertisement

No Indian troops were missing in action
External Affair Ministry Spokesperson Anurag Srivastava issued a statement to clarify that that “no Indian troops were missing in action,” which meant that all the soldiers were account for — not if any of them had been taken into custody by the Chinese side.

The fourth round of talks is scheduled to take place later today on June 19 after the agreement to de-escalate tensions on the grounds on June 6 was violated. However, experts opine that the next few days may be stormy. Former Chief of Army Staff, General VP Malik, warned, “Be ready for a long haul if talks don’t yield results.”

Delhi warns China to not alter the LAC unilaterally
In yesterday’s press conference, Srivastava asked the Chinese side to confine its activities to its side of the border and not make attempts to unilaterally alter the LAC. “Given its responsible approach to border management, India is very clear that all its activities are always within the Indian side of the LAC. We expect the Chinese side to also confine its activities to its side of the LAC,” he said.
Advertisement


India has accused China of planning the attack well in advance. Officials told The Hindu that the Chinese blocked small rivulets in order to release water at high pressure when the Indian Army personnel came to check if the troops had retreated . They also flew unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to determine the strength of Indian troops before instigating the attack.

“Chinese side took premeditated and planned action that was directly responsible for the resulting violence and casualties,” said India’s Foreign Ministry.

The ‘violent clash’ in Galwan Valley on June 15 resulted in the death of 20 Indian soldiers, with another 76 injured — none of whom are currently in critical condition.
Advertisement

SEE ALSO:
The next few days are going to be stormy for India and China say a former diplomat and retired lieutenant general

India and China are testing each other at the Ladakh border— but it won’t be another war like in 1962, according to experts

India and China were fighting at 14,000 ft in barren terrain with rocks, sticks, nails — Here’s why there was no gun firing