Defense Expo 2022: A big step towards self-reliance in defense with a new tank, gun system, and more
- Over 1,300 firms and representatives from over 50 countries are taking part in the event.
- During the Defence Expo 2022, 451 Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) and agreements worth ₹1.53 lakh crore were signed.
- Here are some products showcased at the
defense expo 2022.
AdvertisementThe Defence Expo 2022 was inaugurated by Prime Minister
Speaking at the event, PM Modi said that the Defence Expo is introducing Indian defense manufacturing capabilities to the world. Further, he added, India was globally known only as one of the biggest defense importers, now, India is exporting defense equipment and products to more than 75 countries worldwide.
In the last five years, Indian defense exports have grown eight times and stood at USD 1.59 billion (United States dollar) in 2021-2022. According to the Prime Minister, the country now aims to increase defense exports to 5 billion USDs in the near future.
With 1,300 defense companies and representatives from over 50 countries, the Defence Expo 2022 is said to be the largest expo held in the country.
During the Defence Expo 2022, 451 Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) and agreements worth ₹1.53 lakh crore were signed.
Here are some products showcased at the defense expo 2022.
Mounted Gun System (MGS)
DRDO is developing an Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System 155mm/ 52 cal (ATAGS) in partnership with the Tata and Kalyani group.
In a Mounted Gun System (MGS), the entire gun is mounted onto a wheeled tractor, from where it can be fired without any dismounting or lengthy preparation. MGS can be brought into action in just 80 seconds. The MGS weighs 15 tonnes, and the KolosTatra tractor weighs 15 tonnes.
MGS has cleared tests in deserts and high-altitude areas where it displayed accuracy and consistency.
The light tank
After the encroachment of the Chinese army across the Line of Actual Contol, DRDO was pushed to resume working on a much-debated project, the development of a 25-tonne light tank that would be mobile enough for India’s high mountain border areas, jungle terrain and narrow roads and bridges.
The tank has high-grade armor protecting STANAG level 4 and a high-pressure tank gun (105mm or 120mm).
Wheeled Armoured Platform (WhaP)
This multi-purpose vehicle is developed by DRDO and can handle chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear attacks. This vehicle can also be used as a lightly armored ambulance. It is 8x8 wheeled and will weigh around 24.5 tonnes. Also, it will be amphibious, meaning capable of floating. Under the hood, the vehicle will have a 600HP Cummins engine coupled with an Allison transmission.
Trainer Aircraft HTT-40
PM Modi unveiled HTT-40, an indigenous trainer aircraft designed and developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. The aircraft has been designed with pilot-friendly features, with over 60 percent in-house parts and collaboration with private industry.
The HTT-40 will be used for basic flight training, aerobatics, instrument flying, and close formation flights, including night flying.
The HTT-40 has completed all tests, including hot weather, and cross-wind trials.
The Ballbot is an ideal solution for surveillance, reconnaissance, and patrolling. It has a modular chassis and sensors that can be reconfigured per specific requirements. The Ballbot can be used for counter-intelligence and counter-terrorism as it will provide a remote eye on the ground.
The EyeRov Tuna is fitted with a camera that sends live video feeds of the underwater environment. It can inspect railway bridge piers, ship hulls, dams, and port structures.
India's defense exports surge to ₹13,000 crore — private companies beat govt
Here’s everything you need to know about the made-in-India lightweight combat helicopter
Popular on BI
- A married couple with a 4-month-old baby were both laid off by Google, while one of them was on parental leave
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- 86-year-old removes ‘retirement’ from his dictionary to become a startup founder
- Two Indian-born mathematicians US, Canada get Padma awards
- Equal-weight index: For diversified investments with low volatility
- I wish we move ahead unitedly, PM Modi extends greetings on country's 74th Republic Day
- R-Day: Traffic islands, roundabouts in Lutyens' Delhi decked up with artistic floral designs