India’s hits back at China over Galwan Valley claim calling it 'exaggerated and untenable'
Ministry of External Affairs(MEA) has issued a statement saying that China’s claims over the Galwan Valleyare ‘exaggerated and untenable’.
- According to MEA, the Chinese troops departed from the understandings agreed to on June 5 and sought to erect structures just across the LAC, which led to the violent clash between both sides.
- The Ministry claims that China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi firmly rejected the unfounded allegations made by the Chinese side during the telephonic conversation with India’s Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar on June 17.
The statement comes after China’s Foreign Ministery Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said, “The Galwan valley is located on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC)... For many years, the Chinese border troops have been patrolling and on duty in this region.”
Today, June 20, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) hit back saying, "The position with regard to the Galwan Valley area has been historically clear. Attempts by the Chinese side to now advance exaggerated and untenable claims with regard to Line of Actual Control (LAC) there are not acceptable.”
It explained that Indian troops in the region are fully familiar with the alignment of the LAC in all sectors — including the Galwan Valley. “In fact, they have been patrolling this area for a long time without any incident,” said the MEA.
The ministry added that since early May 2020, the Chinese troops have been hindering the movement of India’s traditional patrolling patterns, which is what results in the faceoff between both sides.
India is not changing the status quo along the border
The MEA also answered China’s claims of Indian infrastructure being built on the Chinese side of the border asserting that all infrastructure built by the Indian side is on its own side.
It asserts that it was not India unilaterally changing the status quo. “On the contrary, we were maintaining it,” said the MEA.
According to the ministry, it was only when the Chinese side attempted to cross the LAC into other areas of the western sector of the border areas in mid-May that the first faceoff occurred. It clarified that both sides had agreed to de-escalate the situation.
“However, the Chinese side departed from these understandings in respect of the LAC in the Galwan Valley area and sought to erect structures just across the LAC. When this attempt was foiled, Chinese troops took violent actions on 15 June 2020 that directly resulted in casualties,” explained the MEA.
According to the Ministry, China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi e firmly rejected the unfounded allegations made by the Chinese side and the misrepresentation of the understandings reached between the Senior Commanders. He also underlined that it was for China to reassess its actions and take corrective steps despite comments made to the contrary by Lijao.
“The two sides are in regular touch and early meetings of military and diplomatic mechanisms are currently being discussed,” concluded the MEA.
India and China are testing each other at the Ladakh border— but it won’t be another war like in 1962, according to experts
The fear of China has put the global spotlight on India — its raked up three Comprehensive Strategic Partnerships in the last 24 months
China wants India to stay in its lane — three reasons why China is puffing its chest, according to a former diplomat
Popular on BI
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- India emerges as the world's largest producer, consumer of sugar
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Both GST and Excise duty can be imposed on tobacco: Karnataka HC
- Godrej Consumer Products expects improved consumption in second half of this fiscal
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World