The Air Force just started testing its new Grey Wolf helicopter, the replacement for the Huey
- The MH-139A Grey Wolf, the helicopter that will replace the Air Force's UH-1N Huey fleet, conducted its first combined test flight in Florida this month.
- The new helicopter closes the Huey's capability gaps in the areas of speed, range, endurance, payload, and survivability in support of the command's ICBM missions.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AFNS) - The Air Force's newest helicopter, the MH-139A Grey Wolf, completed its first combined test flight, February 11.
With a Boeing pilot in command, this test flight allowed the Air Force its first in-flight look at the capabilities of the aircraft.
The flight also made Maj. Zach Roycroft, 413th Flight Test Squadron lead test pilot for the program, the first Air Force pilot to fly Grey Wolf.
"This first flight with Boeing was a critical step for the MH-139A program and allows us to establish a foundation for government testing," Roycroft said.
Boeing completed extensive flight-testing on Grey Wolf to satisfy Federal Aviation Administration requirements before the introduction of mixed contractor and Air Force crews. The MH-139A program should complete initial military ground testing later this month.
"This flight represents a tremendous amount of work and we are all very excited to see it happen," said Andrew Whitten, MH-139A flight chief, who was also on the flight.
The MH-139A is set to replace the Air Force's UH-1N Huey fleet. The new helicopter closes the capability gaps of the UH-1N in the areas of speed, range, endurance, payload and survivability in support of the command's intercontinental ballistic missile missions.
Other mission capabilities include civil search and rescue, airlift support, National Capital Region missions, as well as survival school and test support.
- New YouTube video player, all interactive controls on full screen and more — here’s what’s new
- A 'healthy' growth in cigarettes vertical helped ITC beat earnings estimates
- Heatwave has turned ACs from a luxury to a necessity — but margins remain muted for the players
- Venus Pipes & Tubes IPO: Here’s how you can check the allotment status
- Late comic book legend Stan Lee set to live again in movies as Marvel Studios signs 20-year deal
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction