The US Air Force finally has a Space Force, and now some of its bases could be getting new names
- As of December 20, the US military officially has a Space Force.
- It will exist within the department of the Air Force and support US Space Command, but many more details are still being worked out - including which Air Force bases are getting new names.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The US's long-awaited Space Force was officially established on December 20, when President Donald Trump signed the 2020 National
Space Force was created from US Air Force Space Command but is still part of the Air Force, much like the Marine Corps is a part of the Navy Department. Space Force is not meant to put troops into space but will provide forces and assets to Space Command, which leads US military space operations.
The secretary of the Air Force has to tell Congress by February 1 how Space Force will be organized and its expected funding needs. But there are still "thousands and thousands of actions that are going to have to take place" over the next 18 months, Air Force Gen. Jay Raymond said on December 20
Among those is the renaming of Air Force bases to reflect the space mission, according to Raymond, who is head of US Space Command and will lead Space Force as its first chief of space operations.
"We do have a plan to rename the principal Air Force bases that house space units to be space bases," Raymond said.
"I just want to point out, though, that we will rely very heavily on the Air Force to operate those bases," he added. "But we'll work to rename those to match the mission of the base."
Raymond mentioned five Air Force bases that could be renamed - Patrick Air Force Base, for example, could become Patrick Space Base - but he said "his list wasn't necessarily all inclusive," Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek said in an email last week, adding that the service was "still working through the details" and didn't currently have any other information about renaming bases.
Below, you can see some of the bases that may soon have new names.
Buckley Air Force Base
Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station
Peterson Air Force Base
Schriever Air Force Base
Vandenberg Air Force Base
Patrick Air Force Base
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 review: Value champion in the Android smartwatch space
- Best iPhone under ₹30,000
- Best earbuds under ₹1500
- Nykaa enters into a JV with Dubai-based fashion retailer Apparel Group
- Axis MF launches a Nasdaq 100 focused Fund of Fund
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World