US B-52 bombers and gunships sent into action in Afghanistan in attempt to stop Taliban advance on key cities
Talibanhas been seizing territory across Afghanistanas US-led forces withdraw.
- The US has sent
B-52 bombersand Spectre gunships to stop the Taliban advance on three key cities.
- The move shows how Afghan forces are still reliant on the US for
militaryequipment and support.
The US has sent B-52 bombers and Spectre gunships to Afghanistan in a bid to stop Taliban insurgents who are marching towards three key cities.
The B-52s are flying into Afghanistan from an airbase in Qatar, hitting targets around Kandahar, Herat, and Lashkar Gah in Helmand province, sources told The Times.
The move comes amid an increasingly dire situation in Afghanistan, as the Taliban continues to seize territory across the country as US-led forces withdraw.
The Pentagon estimates that the group now controls half of Afghanistan's 419 district centers.
On Friday, the Taliban seized Zaranj in Nimroz, making it the first provincial capital to be captured by the insurgents since they began their military campaign in May.
The Taliban also assassinated the government's chief media officer, Dawa Khan Menapal, on the same day in Kabul.
The deployment of American bombers and gunships also highlights how ailing Afghan forces remain reliant on US support.
The Boeing B-52 Stratofortress is a long-range, subsonic, jet-powered strategic bomber, which can carry up to 32 tonnes of bombs.
The bombers first flew during the Cold War and played a key role in toppling the Taliban from power in late 2001, according to Arab News.
B-52 shave not been used in Afghanistan for nearly a year, according to The Times.
The US is also using armed Reaper drones and AC-130 Spectre gunships, and at least five missions are being flown each day, The Times said.
The paper said that at least seven Afghan pilots had been killed after being targeted by the Taliban, while others are reportedly exhausted after relentless missions.
Although Joe Biden has set a deadline for withdrawal of August 31, American defense sources told The Times that there was every intention to continue with the airstrikes after that date.
"It is getting worse day by day here," security analyst and retired colonel Mohammad Hassan told Arab News.
"The cancelation of flights to Herat and the fact that
The Afghan government estimates that over 40,000 families have been displaced by the fighting since early May.
- Best king size bed sheets for bedroom in India
- OPINION: The next four-letter word taking the world of finance by storm
- Best steel chair for living room in India
- Best floodlights for outdoors in India
- CCI approves HDFC Bank's acquisition of 4.99% stake in HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company