DELAYED: Apple Is Reportedly Struggling To Make A Giant iPhone With A 5.5-Inch Screen
Murai says Apple has approved mass production of a 4.7-inch screen, but it's having issues with the bigger 5.5-inch screen. As a result, production of the 5.5-inch screen has been delayed by several months, says Murai.
Apple's iPhone has a relatively tiny, 4-inch screen. For context on how small the iPhone is to Android-based phones, last year HTC released a "mini" version of its phone and it had a 4.3-inch screen. Most Android phones have 4.7-inch or 5-inch screens.
Samsung has pioneered the "phablet" which is a phone with a 6-inch screen. The name comes from combining phone and tablet. It's a growing trend around the world for people that don't want, or can't afford to own a tablet and a smartphone.
Apple is the iPhone company, so it makes sense to manufacture a range of iPhones. A 4-inch, 4.7-inch, and 5.5-inch line of iPhones is completely logical. After all, it makes 11-inch, 13-inch, and 15-inch laptops.
We're not sure what the 5.5-inch screen delay means for Apple. It may end up shelving the giant iPhone until it can get the screen right. Or, it may release it months after the 4.7-inch phone, which would be unusual. Or, it could release it along with the 4.7-inch iPhone, but have tight supplies of the bigger phone.
Regardless, if you were getting excited about a gigantic iPhone, you may want to start resetting your expectations.
- I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report
- Best smartphones under ₹40,000 in India