Donald Trump constantly makes one of the most offensive mistakes in men's suiting
Reuters, Business Insider
Presidential fashion is a low bar. It's almost expected that the leader of the free world wear a somewhat boxy, boring suit in navy, black or the occasional gray (unless you're Obama doing summer). Then you throw on a power tie in red or blue.
This is fine. The American people understand the president has more important things to do than worry about his haberdashery.
So we're not asking a lot here. Donald Trump, however, consistently fails to reach this low bar because of one tragic mistake - it's the way he wears his ties.
"He's no worse dressed than any of the others, because they are all on par with one another. His biggest mistake (besides the tan and hair) is the length of his tie," said personal stylist Jessica Cadmus of The Wardrobe Whisperer.
"It's ludicrous and no one is pointing it out. It's egregiously long. My guess is that he buys Italian ties (which often are longer because Italians like to tie up a big knot) but then he ties a regular knot - probably a half Windsor."
(A half Windsor, we should note, is the most common knot among the Wall Street set.)
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
The length of Trump's tie makes it look like there's a long, silk (good God, we hope it's silk) leash hanging from his neck. That is why too-long ties are often used for comic effect, and unless your name is Krusty and you work at the Big Top, are generally frowned upon in the workplace.
Too-short ties are no better.
At its shortest, a man's tie should rest on the top of his belt. At its longest, it should end at the bottom of the belt. Ideally, though, a tie should hang somewhere in between the two.
You can note the difference in his picture with vice presidential candidate Mike Pence at the top of this post. There are any number of reasons why Pence looks so uncomfortable in the photo, but we're choosing to believe that he's making an excruciating effort to avert his eyes from his running mate's neckwear.
Andrew H. Walker/Getty
"Another pro tip is that guys 6'2'' and taller should purchase extra long length ties. Trump claims to be 6'2'' but I'm not sure I believe it based on how long his ties are," Cadmus told Business Insider.
Yet another mystery, people.
One more thing: Cadmus' musing on why Trump's ties look so atrocious begs one question- if Trump is wearing Italian ties, does that mean he's not wearing his own Chinese-made Trump ties?
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders