e-visa is adding wings to Incredible India, believes tourism secretary
AdvertisementIndia is heading towards being a tourism hotspot, thanks to Modi government’s proactive steps to ease up the formalities of entering into the country. Tourism secretary Lalit K Panwar told the Press Trust of India (PTI) that steps taken by the government including Smart City and Make in India has given Indian tourism a further boost.
"Over 1.5 lakh people from 150 countries including China were issued online electronic travel visas by the Centre in the last seven months which is something never done by any previous government.”
"This shows how keen the government is to attract people to India, see things for themselves and invest here. The ambitious Smart City project is also a step in that direction," Panwar told PTI .
The smart city project will give a multi-dimensional boost to tourism the country linking it with development, livelihood, trade and investment and government also wants people to come to India, see its potential in different sectors and then decide to invest here, he said.
He further informed the news agency that the Union government also has plans to launch a Swadesh Darshan Yojana to boost domestic tourism in the country under which all Himalayan, coastal and desert states besides those through which Ganga river passes will be developed as tourist circuits.
With the Ganga originating in Garhwal Himalayas, Uttarakhand will definitely be part of this ambitious scheme, he further said while speaking to the PTI.
Panwar has also advised Uttarakhand government to implement the Regulation of Travel Trade Act in the state on the lines of 13 other states in the country which have tourism based economies, including Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir, where the Act has already been brought into force.
Popular on BI
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- Not just India, many countries are protecting their wheat to keep daily bread, affordable
- Xiaomi Band 7 launch set for May 24: Everything we know so far
- Thunderstorms, rain bring down homes and power supplies along with temperatures in North India
- Elon Musk replies to Pune techie's witty tweet, says he does not run the techie's account
- Tata Steel, SAIL, Jindal Steel shares tumble up to 16% after the export tax shocker
- Sensex jumps over 311 points in morning trade; Maruti, M&M, Asian Paints, Titan and Kotak Mahindra Bank among top gainers