11 online courses that teach you how to be happier - most are free and taught by Ivy League universities
Alyssa Powell/Business Insider
- Positive psychology is the study of happiness and meaning, and there are several courses you can take online to learn more about the topic.
- Below, I've compiled a list of 11 courses from popular online learning platforms that are free or affordable to enroll in.
- They teach students how to be happier using a blend of abstract and concrete ideas and research-backed habit building. Many of the courses are taught by Ivy League universities.
- See more: Yale's most popular class ever is available free online - and the topic is how to be happier in your daily life
Positive psychology, or the study of meaning and happiness, is a unifying topic for humans at any point in the year.But, at present, while the world has shuttered to a standstill and millions of individuals have retreated into a separate but shared isolation, the pursuit of life satisfaction has become a greater point of interest than usual. For instance, an article I wrote last year about Laurie Santos' free course on "The Science of Well-Being" has, in the matter of a few weeks, been viewed millions of times and, according to YaleNews, seen about 600,000 new students. Advertisement
Below, you can find that exact course, and more affordable options like it, that will bring positive psychology to wherever you are in the world.
Many of them come from top schools like Yale, Berkeley, and the University of Pennsylvania, and are designed to turn abstract and concrete topics into actions you can take every day. And, since the field is relatively young, it's taught by some of its leading minds. Martin Seligman, who is "often regarded as the godfather of positive psychology" per Psychology Today, is an instructor of one of the courses. Laurie Santos, the professor who designed Yale's most popular course ever and The Science of Well-Being for online learning platform Coursera, has coined and conceptualized some of the most contemporary research in the field.Most of the courses are free to audit, which typically means you'll have access to course materials but won't get your work graded or a certificate of completion. If you'd rather pay for the certificate or the full experience, prices range from $15 to $200 depending on the course and the learning platform.
11 affordable online classes that teach you how to be happier:
You can purchase syndication rights to this story here.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The Science of Happiness
The Foundations of Happiness at WorkAdvertisement
The Science of Well-Being
Foundations of Positive Psychology SpecializationAdvertisement
Positive Psychology Specialization Project: Design Your Life for Well-being
Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health
Crafting Realities: Work, Happiness, and MeaningAdvertisement
Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills
A Daily Success Routine: Transform Your Life 1 Day At A TimeAdvertisement
Positive Psychology Certification: Live Well and Work Well
- Assam suffers largest single-day spike with 177 cases, crosses 1000-mark: Officials
- WB COVID-19 death toll crosses 300-mark with 7 more fatalities; total cases 4,813
- 144 new COVID-19 cases in Assam; total rises to 1,024
- Odisha govt announces exemption of road tax for passenger buses
- Decision to reopen shrines would lead to spike in COVID-19 cases: WB BJP chief