India’s IIT Indore crawls up by 53 places in the top 200 Asian universities while 8 other IITs drop
- Eight of India’s premier IITs featured in top 200 in the
QS World University Rankings: Asia 2020. IIT Indorehas crawled up by 53 places — from ranking 241 in 2019 to 188 in 2020.
- The top four elite IITs did not make it to the top 30.
The QS rankings assess universities on 11 parameters including academic reputation, employer reputation, citations per paper and paper per faculty and others.
Located in Madhya Pradesh, IIT Indore is one of the eight new IITs established by the Indian government. It came into existence a decade ago under the mentorship of IIT Bombay. In 2016, it started functioning at its own campus.
Among the BRICS nations, the institute ranks 97 and is known for its high research output among the Asian universities. It scored 94 points for papers per faculty metric and 64 points for citations per paper.
The rankings for other IITs in the top 200 — Bombay, Delhi, Madras, Kharagpur, Kanpur, Roorkee and Guwahati campuses — dropped as compared to last year. The elite IITs did not make it to the top 30.
IIT Bombay, which is the top ranking Indian institution slipped by one spot to at 34 compared to its 2019 ranking. It ranks 21 in terms of employer reputation and 32 for academic reputation as per the list.
On the other hand, IIT Delhi, which was ranked at 40th position last year dropped by three spots to 43.
“The number of universities has nearly doubled, and the number of colleges has grown by 50%. Nevertheless, the domestic demand for tertiary education of its young population — which is estimated to become the world’s largest by 2030 — is growing more rapidly than the expanded provision,” Ben Sowter, director of research at QS said.
Overall, 96 universities ranked in the QS rankings.
AdvertisementOnly six Indian institutes featured in top 500 global university rankings
IISc is now the world's second best research institute: QS University Rankings
India’s IIT Delhi now ranks in top 500 world university rankings
Popular on BI
- Bullet Train to be operational within three years, Ayodhya airport by December end: Union Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia
- Fintech repository to be set up by April 2024, says Shaktikanta Das
- From dreams to reality – three stories of sellers from Flipkart that stand testimony to resilience of women entrepreneurs in India
- YouTube's new 'Pause' feature lets you prevent new comments on videos
- UPI transaction limit for education and healthcare hiked to ₹5 lakh per day