Elon Musk reportedly suggested that Tesla needs to be more like Amazon to improve its delivery system
- Tesla will make a change to its delivery system next quarter designed to reduce the number of vehicles sitting at its Fremont, California, factory, Electrek's Fred Lambert reported.
- According to the Electrek, Tesla will immediately send custom-ordered vehicles to local delivery hubs, instead of keeping them at the Fremont factory until the customer schedules a delivery date.
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk reportedly compared the electric-car maker to Amazon on a call with employees last week, suggesting the online retailer would not survive if it used a delivery system similar to the one Tesla uses for custom-ordered vehicles.
- Improving delivery logistics has been an area of emphasis for Tesla this year.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Tesla will make a change to its delivery system next quarter designed to reduce the number of vehicles sitting at its Fremont, California, factory, Electrek's Fred Lambert reported.Advertisement
According to Electrek, Tesla will immediately send custom-ordered vehicles to local delivery hubs, instead of keeping them at the Fremont factory until the customer schedules a delivery date.
"Amazon would go bankrupt if they would have to wait for customers to be ready to take delivery before shipping," Musk said on the call, according to Electrek's report.Read more: Apply here to attend IGNITION: Transportation, an event focused on the future of transportation, in San Francisco on October 22.Tesla did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.Advertisement
Improving delivery logistics has been an area of emphasis for Tesla this year. The company cited the difficulties of beginning international deliveries of its Model 3 sedan as a challenge it faced during the first quarter, but Musk said Tesla made rapid improvements to its international delivery system after it set a record for vehicle deliveries during the second quarter.
Read Electrek's full story here.
Are you a current or former Tesla employee? Do you have an opinion about what it's like to work there? Contact this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read more:
- The CEO of $2.5 billion Aurora doesn't allow meetings for the first 3 hours of the day. Here's why he's betting on focus to win in a crowded self-driving car race.
- Tesla airbags didn't inflate when a family's Model 3 crashed into a guardrail, and claim the company isn't cooperating with the investigation, victims' lawyer says
- A new Tesla service center was temporarily shut down after it failed to get a building inspection
- Elon Musk suggested that Tesla is working on a new powertrain that will make the Model S, Model X, and Roadster quicker
- Chinese city sounds alert for bubonic plague
- Rupee rises 14 paise to 74.52 against US dollar in early trade
- Zydus Cadila gets approval from Mexican authority to test COVID-19 drug
- Walgreens, NZ-based Stuff join 'boycott Facebook' campaign
- The story behind Geometry Encompass’ anthem ‘We Got This’ with Ankur Tewari and Clinton Cerejo