Elon Musk's Boring Company staged a race between a Tesla in a tunnel and on the road - and the winner was clear
Robyn Beck/Pool via REUTERS
- The Boring Company released dashcam footage of two Tesla's racing each other - one using the roads, another using a Boring Company tunnel.
- The car using the tunnel won the race by more than three minutes, after the car above ground got stuck in traffic.
- The video reveals that the Boring Company has done away with a key element of the tunnel's original design - rails that guide the car.
- Boring Company CEO Elon Musk has said he created the company to solve LA's "soul-destroying" traffic.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Less than 24 hours after news broke that Elon Musk's Boring Company landed its first tunnel-building project in Las Vegas, it released a video of two Teslas racing - one using the roads, the other a Boring Company tunnel.
The Tesla which takes the tunnel takes 1 minute and 36 seconds to reach the destination, reaching 127 mph. The car using the roads arrives after 4 minutes and 44 seconds, after getting stuck at a red light.
You can watch the race here:
The race took place in LA, where the Boring Company has its Hawthorne 1.14 mile-long test tunnel. The video revealed that a key element of the tunnel's design has changed.
This demonstration of the tunnel differed from earlier ones in which cars were whisked along on rails.
Replying to a tweet which asked whether there were no more rails and the car was just driving on autopilot, Musk said: "Pretty much." When asked why the original rail system had been abandoned, Musk added: "This is simple and just works."
Previously the CEO has said he hopes the tunnels can let people escape LA's "soul-destroying" traffic. Musk showed off the inside of the tunnel in December by taking CBS anchor Gayle King for a ride at a much more sedate 20 mph.
Musk announced on Wednesday that the Boring Company's first commercial project - building a one-mile long connecting two ends of the Las Vegas Convention Center - will be completed by the end of this year.
Get the latest Tesla stock price here.
- Govt approves PLI scheme for making drones with outlay of Rs 120 cr, comes out with norms
- Apple transportation through drones to become reality in tribal Kinnaur district of HP
- Researchers develop device that uses sound waves to separate blood-based nanoparticles
- 5 Bihar villages to be developed into human-carnivore coexistence zone
- Delhi's air quality will likely improve from Sunday evening, says IMD