$100 MILLION CLUB: 7 Hollywood titans that Netflix, HBO, and others have signed 9-figure deals with during the battle for talent
- Companies are scooping up major Hollywood players in deals worth hundreds of millions of dollars to bolster their original streaming content.
- Netflix landed "American Horror Story" creator Ryan Murphy in an estimated $300 million deal, while WarnerMedia attracted J.J. Abrams, who will create content for its streaming competitor HBO Max.
- Former HBO CEO Richard Plepler is in talks to join Apple TV Plus, The Wall Street Journal first reported last week, which would give Apple's streaming efforts a big boost.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The latest potential example is Richard Plepler, the former HBO CEO who is in talks to join Apple TV Plus, multiple outlets reported last week. A deal "could be finalized within the next few weeks," a person with knowledge of the talks told The Wall Street Journal, which was the first to report the news.
Apple is a newcomer to original TV and movies, so it will need someone with Plepler's experience if it wants to compete against the likes of Netflix and Disney, which debuted its own service, Disney Plus, last week and gained 10 million sign-ups a day after launching.Netflix landed superstar producers Ryan Murphy and Shonda Rhimes last year, and WarnerMedia nabbed J.J. Abrams and his Bad Robot production company in September.
"The more crowded field has driven higher demand for content against a more limited supply of production and talent, resulting in cost inflation (particularly for marquee programs and show runners)," analysts at UBS wrote in a report distributed Tuesday.Here's a rundown of the top mega-deals to happen as the streaming war has intensified:Advertisement
J.J. Abrams and Katie McGrath — HBO Max (WarnerMedia)
Greg Berlanti — HBO Max (WarnerMedia)Advertisement
Ryan Murphy — Netflix
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss — NetflixAdvertisement
Shonda Rhimes — Netflix
Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan — Amazon Prime VideoAdvertisement
Kenya Barris — Netflix
BONUS: Richard Plepler — Apple TV PlusAdvertisement
BONUS: Kevin Feige — Disney Plus
- There are five companies making Favipiravir now — and it is good for supply and prices
- Best 5,000mAh battery smartphones
- India's COVID-19 recovery rate rises to 67.62% and case fatality rate drops to 2.07%
- BCCI, Vivo suspend IPL partnership for one year, may resume next year
- Wipro teams up with Intel to cash in on the increasing demand for work from home