Data shows how much overlap major streaming services have in movie and TV catalogs, from Disney+ to Netflix
- Data shows how much overlap of
moviesand TVshows there is between major streamingservices.
- Disney+ had little overlap with its competitors, but has a smaller content library than other streamers.
- The biggest movie overlap was between Hulu and Paramount+; the biggest TV overlap was between Peacock and Hulu.
The last two years saw a wave of new streaming services enter a space that had already included heavy hitters like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu.
Disney+ and Apple TV+ landed in late 2019, followed by WarnerMedia's HBO Max and NBCUniversal's Peacock last year. And in March, ViacomCBS re-entered the ring with Paramount+, a rebranded and expanded version of CBS All Access.
With so many competitors vying for consumer dollars, exclusive content is a major factor in attracting - and keeping - subscribers. That doesn't just mean originals; it means licensed content not found anywhere else.
New data from Reelgood, a search engine that tracks where movies and TV shows are streaming, broke down how much content from each major streamer overlaps with others. While there is still some overlap between services, it is quite small in most cases.
Prime Video has a the largest content library of any streamer by far, especially when it comes to movies. As of June 2020, it had nearly 13,000 movies available to stream compared to Netflix's 3,700. So it would make sense that other streaming services' libraries would overlap with it.
It has particular overlap with Paramount+and Peacock. 12% of the movies on Paramount+ are also on Prime Video, according to
The biggest film overlap is between Hulu and Paramount+, though. 15% of movies on Hulu are also on Paramount+ (just 6% of movies on Paramount+ are also on Hulu).
Disney+ had the least amount of overlap when it came to movies. 1% of movies that are on the platform are also on Prime Video, but other than that, there is no overlap.
However, Disney+ does have a smaller content catalog compared to other streaming players. As of last June, it had 615 movies and 235 TV shows, much fewer than the other major platforms available at the time like Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max.
HBO Max and Netflix also had little overlap with other services. As companies license less and less content to Netflix to boost their own streaming products, Netflix has increased its output of original content.
The chart below breaks down the movie overlap further (read the chart by looking at the vertical axis and across, as in: 1% of movies on Prime Video are also on Netflix, 3% of movies on Hulu are on Netflix, etc.):
On the TV side, Disney+ still has little overlap with competitors, but again, it has a much smaller library than others. It does share 7% of its TV shows with Hulu, which Disney also has full operational control over.
21% of TV shows that are on Peacock are also on Hulu, the largest TV overlap Reelgood observed (Comcast, which owns Peacock and NBCU, has a 33% stake in Hulu, which it is expected to sell to Disney by 2024).
The chart below illustrates the data further:
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- India to add 80 airports in next 4-5 years; new rules for aerodromes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World