Diane Keaton says 'nobody' wanted Al Pacino cast in 'The Godfather'
- Diane Keaton said "nobody" wanted Al Pacino cast as Michael Corleone in "The Godfather."
- The actress revealed that she was cast before he was in an interview with ET Online.
Diane Keaton said she was cast before Al Pacino in the 1972 classic gangster flick "The Godfather."
The actress said Pacino was not the first choice to star as Michael Corleone in the Francis Ford Coppola film. "Nobody wanted Al Pacino. They didn't want him to play that part, and I had already been cast," Keaton told ET's Nischelle Turner in an interview promoting her upcoming movie "Mack & Rita."
Keaton found it "weird" that the film was not originally planned around the actor who eventually embodied the role of the mafia patriarch.
"I had been cast before Al Pacino in 'Godfather 1!' Is this not weird?" said Keaton.
"What would 'The Godfather' have been without Al Pacino?" she continued. "It's just one of those weird, unusual things in life."
Keaton said she was present for Pacino's second audition when producers finally "gave him the job."
"Do you believe that? After he had auditioned before and they didn't want him," she added.
Pacino ultimately earned an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor in 1973 for the role. Keaton played Kay Adams, a docile teacher who falls for Pacino's Michael before realizing that he is doomed to repeat the lethal mistakes of his family.
Speaking to ET, Keaton also described her own experience auditioning for the iconic project. "I auditioned for 'The Godfather' having never read it and I knew nothing about it, and just was there, I was standing there like every other woman," she recalled. "I didn't know what the hell I was there for. And they cast me in that role!"
Based on the best-selling but controversial novel of the same name by Mario Puzo, "The Godfather" was a high-profile project at Paramount Studios. A fictional account of how the film was conceived and produced is told in the Paramount + original series "The Offer."
- Upcoming cars launching in India in December 2022
- Sensex, Nifty50 hit fresh all-time highs – Bharat Petroleum, Reliance Industries surge
- Best pillow for neck pain India
- Strong bank loan growth in FY23 despite higher interest rates: Fitch
- Startups are leading office real estate leasing in India: JLL
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Germany Visa
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World