Everything we know about the competing 'Tiger King' adaptations, which reportedly star Nicolas Cage and Kate McKinnon
- Netflix's docuseries "Tiger King" was a hit when it was first released earlier this year.
- Now, several dramatized versions of the story are in the works.
- One production will star Nicolas Cage as Joe Exotic, the eccentric and vindictive zookeeper who was profiled in the Netflix series.
- The other will focus on Exotic's nemesis Carole Baskin, the CEO of Big Cat Rescue, who will be played by Kate McKinnnon.
- Both adaptations are still in the works and don't have set release dates yet.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
"Tiger King" — the popular Netflix docuseries about an eccentric zookeeper named Joe Exotic and his collection of tigers, lions, and other big cats — was one of the first hit shows of 2020. And it's no surprise that there are several dramatizations of Exotic's wild, stranger-than-fiction exploits currently in the works.
Nicolas Cage will play Exotic in one such dramatization, which is reportedly based on a Texas Monthly article by Leif Reigstad called "Joe Exotic: A Dark Journey Into the World of a Man Gone Wild."
There's also another retelling of the "Tiger King" saga in the works too, only this version is based on a podcast, and will focus on Exotic's nemesis Carole Baskin, the CEO of Big Cat Rescue. "Saturday Night Live" star Kate McKinnon will play Baskin, who became an instant internet sensation due to her flower crowns and signature greeting ("Hey all you cool cats and kittens") to her fans.
Here's everything you need to know about the "Tiger King" dramatizations currently in the works.
CBS will produce a dramatization starring Nicolas Cage as Joe Exotic
Variety reported on Monday that Cage will star in the scripted series, which will run for eight episodes. Based on the article by Reigstad, the series "will live in the lion's den with Joe, explore how he became Joe Exotic, and how he lost himself to a character of his own creation," according to Variety.
"American Vandal" showrunner Dan Lagana will write, produce, and serve as the showrunner for the still-unnamed series.
Kate McKinnon will play Big Cat Rescue CEO Carole Baskin in another dramatization
McKinnon will star on and executive produce the limited series, which is reportedly based on the Wondery podcast "Joe Exotic." Much like the Netflix series, the podcast portrays Baskin as she fights for the eradication of illegal big-cat zoos in the US, and takes on her nemesis, Joe Exotic.
According to Vanity Fair, the new adaptation isn't attached to any streaming service or network at this time, which means it could be a while until it's available to watch.
Rob Lowe shared on Twitter that he and Ryan Murphy were developing their own version of the 'insane' story, but hasn't shared any details beyond that
The actor captioned his picture "Rob Exotic," and told followers to "stay tuned" for more updates on his project with the "American Horror Story" creator. As with the other projects, there haven't been a whole lot of developments with Lowe and Murphy's production.
Unfortunately, none of the upcoming adaptations have a release date yet
Both the Cage and McKinnon adaptations are still in the early stages of production, and the status of Lowe and Murphy's project is a bit murky right now. With the coronavirus pandemic complicating filming schedules in Hollywood, it might be a while before you can watch these talented actors portray some of the eccentric characters on "Tiger King."
Until then, you'll have to catch up on the new shows' source materials, or just binge the Netflix docuseries all over again to get your Joe Exotic fix.
- Read more:
- The best memes and celebrity reactions to Netflix's 'Tiger King,' the hit documentary you really should be watching
- The 'Tiger King' director said despite calling herself a big-cat rescuer, it felt like Carole Baskin 'just wanted to live with a bunch of big cats'
- One of Joe Exotic's ex-husbands wants Channing Tatum to play him in a biopic of 'Tiger King'
- The big lie in 'Tiger King' and the truth about Carole Baskin
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore