Fans think Benny Blanco insulted Selena Gomez by implying she's a 'cookie-cutter pop artist'
- Producer Benny Blanco recently praised his "Lonely" collaborator, Justin Bieber, in an interview with Zach Sang.
- "Justin's not one of those cookie-cutter pop artists," he said. "Like you know, they're like, 'this is my new single and here's my makeup line.' And he's like, Justin's like, 'yo. I have a pimple and I have anxiety today.'"
- Fans think this was a thinly veiled jab at Bieber's ex Selena Gomez, who recently released her own makeup line, Rare Beauty.
- Many noted that Gomez has been very open about her struggles with depression and anxiety, while some even accused Blanco of misogyny.
- Blanco previously collaborated with Gomez on the 2019 single "I Can't Get Enough."
Selena Gomez fans are furious with Benny Blanco for critiquing "cookie-cutter pop stars."I have a pimple and I have anxiety today.' He's always been upfront about that stuff."
Blanco previously collaborated with Gomez in 2019 on the bilingual single, "I Can't Get Enough." Nevertheless, many fans believe his comment was a thinly veiled jab at Bieber's most famous ex-girlfriend, who recently released her own makeup line, Rare Beauty.
—Buzzing Pop (@BuzzingPop) October 27, 2020Many noted that Gomez has been very open about her struggles with bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety, which is precisely what Blanco appeared to praise Bieber for.
Some fans even accused Blanco of misogyny, criticizing "all the men who are always degrading women and their success in order to praise men for the BARE MINIMUM."
—Aggie♀️#6YearsOf1989 (@defendingbetty) October 27, 2020
— (@grandeiscoming) October 27, 2020
—Sara (fan account) (@SeIenaxririi) October 27, 2020
—cody (@codyswiftgomez) October 27, 2020
—mithila❀ (@brinasparrish) October 27, 2020
—david (fan.) (@seIenalusts) October 27, 2020A representative for Blanco did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.Watch his full interview with Sang below.
- Former Assam CM Tarun Gogoi passes away at 84 due to post-COVID complications
- Fine for not wearing masks in Goa increased to ₹200
- Here's why former RBI governor Rajan and former deputy Acharya believe the plan to allow corporations to own banks is a 'bad idea'
- Maharashtra government wants a COVID-19 negative test report from passengers coming from Delhi, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Goa
- Himachal Pradesh imposes night curfew in Shimla, Kullu, Mandi and Kangra districts, educational institutes to remain shut till December 31