Gina Carano fired from 'The Mandalorian' after comparing modern-day Republicans to Jews persecuted during the Holocaust
- Gina Carano, the MMA fighter turned actor, has been
firedfrom " The Mandalorian."
- In a social-media post, Carano compared people with unpopular political views to Holocaust victims.
- Lucasfilm said she had written "abhorrent and unacceptable" social-media posts.
The MMA fighter turned actor
"Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future," a Lucasfilm representative said in a statement reported by Variety and The Hollywood Reporter. "Nevertheless, her social-media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable."
Carano, who played the former Rebel Alliance soldier Cara Dune, attracted criticism for an Instagram comment she made Tuesday.
"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children," Carano wrote in a now-deleted post on Instagram, adding, in quote marks: "Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"
On Wednesday, the hashtag #FireGinaCarano made its way around social media, while others countered with #StandWithGinaCarano.
While the Holocaust comparison did not directly mention Republicans, Carano has previously expressed views shared by those on the far right. Some of her social-media posts had similarly prompted sections of the internet to rally for Carano to be fired.
In January, Carano asked her fans on Twitter to join her on Parler, a platform advertising itself as the conservative alternative to Twitter and a "free speech" platform.
In a January 3 interview with the YouTuber DRUNK3PO, she said: "If my presence bothers you, OK, but also a lot of people are not bothered by my Twitter presence or my social-media presence. So I focus more on those people. I bring the fire out in people. I'm not sure why."
Insider could not immediately reach Carano for comment.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons