Google's list of the top-trending TV shows of 2019 reveals how streaming originals are dominating the industry
- Google unveiled its 2019 Year in Search on Tuesday, including its top-trending TV shows of the year.
- The list is dominated by streaming originals like Netflix's "Stranger Things," Disney Plus' "The Mandalorian," and Amazon Prime Video's "The Boys."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Google's top-trending TV shows of the year range from Amazon's mature superhero series "The Boys" to Disney Plus' live-action "Star Wars" series "The Mandalorian."But they mostly have one thing in common: you can stream them.Advertisement
If we count HBO's streaming extensions HBO Now and HBO Go, then nine of the 10 top shows, according to the company's Year in Search, are streaming originals. Even the one that's not, Lifetime's "Surviving R. Kelly," is now streaming on Netflix.
It's a sign of how the television landscape will look in the years to come, as more and more companies launch their own streaming competitors. Disney and Apple launched Disney Plus and Apple TV Plus, respectively, last month.HBO's parent company, WarnerMedia, will launch HBO Max this spring, which will include content across WarnerMedia's platforms, from HBO to Warner Bros. to Cartoon Network. And NBCUniversal is preparing its own service called Peacock.
Netflix is the streaming champion, but as it loses licensed content to these competitors, it will continue to focus on original content. It dominated Google's list with hits like "Stranger Things" and "The Umbrella Academy," which were also among the most "in-demand" original streaming shows throughout the year, according to Parrot Analytics.But Disney Plus' "The Mandalorian" recently dethroned "Stranger Things" as the biggest series in the US based on Parrot Analytics' measurements, and is the most in-demand series in the world. As Disney prepares more "Star Wars" shows and Marvel shows, it could position itself as a formidable streaming player against Netflix."Game of Thrones" topped Google's list and HBO is doubling down on its success with an upcoming prequel series called "House of the Dragon" that will also stream on HBO Max. Advertisement
Below are Google's 10 top-trending TV shows of the year in search, along with the top lists for drama, comedy, and sci-fi/fantasy shows:
10. "The Boys" — Amazon Prime Video
9. "Surviving R. Kelly" —Lifetime (streaming on Netflix)Advertisement
8. "Dead to Me" — Netflix
7. "Euphoria" — HBOAdvertisement
6. "The Umbrella Academy" — Netflix
5. "The Mandalorian" — Disney PlusAdvertisement
4. "Chernobyl" — HBO
3. "When They See Us" — NetflixAdvertisement
2. "Stranger Things" — Netflix
1. "Game of Thrones" — HBOAdvertisement
Top-trending sci-fi/fantasy shows
- Best kids umbrellas that make rain or sun more fun
- Air India Express plane crash leaves 16 dead including both pilots with investigative teams on their way
- Best budget microwave ovens in India
- Best coffee mugs for cosy conversations & more
- First Man, Bandish Bandits— and other shows that you can watch on Netflix, Zee5, Disney+ Hotstar, and Amazon Prime