Gwyneth Paltrow says she 'almost died' while giving birth to daughter Apple in an 'emergency' C-section
- Gwyneth Paltrow spoke about her harrowing experience giving birth to her daughter, Apple Martin.
- On Monday's "Armchair Expert," she said she "almost died" during the "emergency" C-section.
Gwyneth Paltrow said she nearly died while giving birth to her daughter, Apple Martin, 17 years ago.
On Monday's episode of Dax Shepard and Monica Padman's "Armchair Expert" podcast, the 49-year-old Goop founder spoke about undergoing C-sections to have Apple and Moses Martin, 15, both of whom she shares with her ex-husband, Chris Martin.
Due to "emergency" complications during the first birth, she and Apple almost didn't survive the delivery, the actress recalled.
"I had two cesareans. My daughter was an emergency. It was crazy. We almost died. It was not good," she said.
Paltrow did not provide further details on the high-risk delivery, however she told Shepard and Padman that the experience left her with a scar across her body. Though it took time to get used to the new mark, Paltrow said she does her best not to let it bother her.
"You're like, 'Oh wow, that didn't used to be there,'" she said. "It's not that it's bad or you want to judge it but you're just like 'Oh my god.'"
Years after the challenging birth, Paltrow faced another set of complications. In 2013, the "Emma" actress revealed that she suffered a miscarriage during her third pregnancy.
"I had a really bad experience when I was pregnant with my third and it didn't work out and I nearly died. So I am, like, 'Are we good here or should we go back and try again?'" she told The Daily Mail, later explaining that Apple and Moses ask her to have another child "all the time."
"You never know - I could squeeze one more in," she said. "I am missing my third. I am thinking about it."
Paltrow and Martin ended their 13-year marriage in 2016 but continue to coparent their two children. And in 2018, the actress married Brad Falchuk, a TV writer and director that has two children of his own: Isabella and Brody.
- World Heart Day: What treatments cost across top Indian cities and how to stay covered
- World Heart Day delights: Yoga, exercise, and heart-healthy living
- TCS retains No 1 spot as India’s top brand but tech sector takes a hit
- Brewing capital: Third Wave Coffee raises Series C funding with participation from existing investors
- Asian Paints' non-executive director Ashwin Dani passes away