Hotstar, Netflix might reduce picture quality to avoid Internet breakdown
- Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) has asked the government to reduce the speed of streaming platforms to ease pressure on network infrastructure.
- COAI requested
streaming servicesincluding Hotstar, Netflix, Amazon PrimeVideos to temporarily stream SD (standard definition) videos instead of HD (hi-definition) to ease the burden.
AdvertisementWondering if streaming a movie in HD might help you get rid of boredom during
Telecom industry body Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) asked the government to reduce the speed of streaming platforms to ease pressure on network infrastructure.
"Due to lockdown/ quarantine measures in various parts of the country, a sudden surge in demand for online video streaming is also expected to rise substantially. This sudden surge in digital use is already putting pressure on the network infrastructure of the Telecom Service Providers (TSPs)," Telecom Secretary Anshu Prakash, COAI wrote in a letter to the government.
COAI requested all streaming services including Hotstar, Netflix, Amazon Prime Videos to temporarily stream SD (standard definition) videos instead of HD (hi definition) to ease the burden. Moreover, it urged them to remove high bandwidth-consuming advertisements and pop-ups, and replace them with public announcements on awareness regarding the virus.
The move comes after Netflix started slowing down its services across Europe by 25% over fears of internet break. Consumers availing Ultra High definition package in Europe have started experiencing a reduction in picture quality, reported the Guardian.
"We understand that similar measures are being taken by various streaming platforms internationally like in the US and Europe as more and more countries enter lockdown to combat the spread of the virus," COAI said.
Advertisement(With inputs from PTI)
Coronavirus cases in India state wise: 415 infected, 24 cured and 7 dead
- Indigo’s net loss widens to ₹1,194 crore despite cost cuts, revenue dips 66%
- Shapoorji Pallonji Group proposes plan for separation from Tata Sons
- Syska Group onboards Rajkummar Rao as its brand ambassador
- Pepperfry's Diwali ad will remind you of all the times you fought with your loved ones for your favourite spot at home
- Best screwdrivers for your tool drawer