'House of the Dragon' star Fabien Frankel says he spent 'over seven months' preparing for Criston Cole sex scene
- Warning: Spoilers for "House of the Dragon" season one, episode four, "King of the Narrow Sea."
- Criston Cole actor Fabien Frankel said he spent "over seven months" preparing for his sex scene.
"House of the Dragon" star Fabien Frankel revealed that his sex scene in episode four took "over seven months" of preparation.
In the episode, Princess Rhaenyra (Milly Alcock) starts to explore her sexuality and persuades Ser Criston Cole (Frankel), her personal knight who had been standing outside her door, to take her virginity.
During an interview on Entertainment Weekly's podcast "West of Westeros," Frankel said he, Alcock, director Clare Kilner, and the show's intimacy coordinator, Miriam Lucia, discussed the scene for several months before it was shot.
"It was one of the first things I was very keen to talk about," Frankel said. "The big thing for me was about it not feeling like another gratuitous, sweat-glistening-off-their-back sex scene, 'cause it's just not like that. Anyone who's ever had sex will tell you sex ain't that beautiful. It isn't some picturesque, amazing thing. It's awkward, especially when you are young."
The scene was a significant moment for Cole because, as a member of the Kingsguard, he had sworn an oath of chastity.
Frankel said that he wanted to show Cole's "struggle" in betraying his vows and taking his armor off during the scene.
"I remember just saying to them, 'There's no way this armor comes off without the help.' Knights would have squires, and squires would take off their armor," Frankel recalled. "There's no way Rhaenyra and Cole are gonna take that armor off in 10 seconds. So I was like, 'Well, you have to have that in.'"
The actor added: "How do we get the buckle off? How do we get the boots off? These are all the things I really cared about, 'cause they take away this archaic sexual sex scenes that have existed for so long in television and film, and make it feel real and how it would be."
Frankel also felt the scene need to be "different" from the typical "Game of Thrones" sex scenes within the same episode.
In the preceding scenes, the audience saw snapshots of King Viserys (Paddy Considine) having sex with his 18-year-old wife Alicent (Emily Carey), while Daemon Targaryen (Matt Smith) had an intimate moment with his young niece Rhaenyra inside a brothel.
In an interview with the New York Post, Alcock, who is 22, admitted that she felt "quite comfortable" feeling the incest scene with her 39-year-old costar but thought the brothel scene was "shocking."
"It scared me because at that point I still hadn't met Paddy, I didn't know how much of a joy he was and how easy he was going to make [the scene], and all I saw was, you know, a 47-year-old man and me, I was a bit concerned," Carey said.
Carey added that having an intimacy coordinator helped her feel comfortable on set.
New episodes of "House of the Dragon" air Sundays on HBO at 9 p.m. ET.
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- RBI hikes repo rate by 50 bps, taking it to a three-year high of 5.9% – Das says inflation at ‘alarmingly high levels’ across jurisdictions
- Best camera phone under ₹15000
- Best 5G mobile phones under ₹20000
- 22 lakh Indian IT professionals likely to leave jobs by 2025: Report
- OnePlus says successfully geared up for 5G launch with 5G-ready smartphone portfolio
- This website generates videos from a single image and text for free – here’s all you need to know
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World