Kanye West has responded to Kim Kardashian West's divorce filing and asked for joint custody of the couple's 4 children
Kanye Westhas responded to Kim Kardashian's West February 19 divorce filing.
- West asked for joint custody of the couple's four children and for no spousal support to be awarded to either person, per reports from People and TMZ.
- Sources previously told TMZ that the split is "amicable" and that Kardashian West also wanted joint custody.
West filed his legal response to Kardashian West's divorce filing on Friday, according to People, who obtained a copy of the documents. In the response, the rapper also asked to terminate the court's right to award spousal support to either person.
Spousal support, or alimony, can be awarded in a divorce to a partner who earns significantly less money than the other partner unless otherwise specified in a prenuptial agreement. West, 43, and Kardashian West, 40, are both billionaires and reportedly have a prenuptial agreement that neither of them are contesting.
Kardashian West filed for divorce from West on February 19, 2021, after seven years of marriage. Sources told TMZ, who first reported the news, that the separation was "amicable" and that the couple was "committed to co-parenting together." Kardashian West requested joint physical custody of the children at the time of her filing, per TMZ.
Representatives for West and Kardashian West did not immediately respond to Insider's requests for comment for this story.
Kardashian and West married in May 2014 in a lavish ceremony in Italy after two years of dating. They have four children: daughters North, 7, and Chicago, 3, and sons Saint, 5, and Psalm, who will turn 2 next month.
The news of their split first broke in December, when Page Six reported the couple was "done." The report came after what appeared to be a tumultuous year for the pair. Last July, in a later-deleted tweet, West said he had been considering divorcing his wife since 2018. In the same series of tweets, he referred to Kardashian West's mother, Kris Jenner, as "Kris Jong-Un" in apparent reference to the leader of North Korea.
In February 2021, a few days after Kardashian West filed for divorce, sources told US Weekly that the couple's marriage hit a "turning point" in 2018 after West said in a TMZ interview that 400 years of slavery "sounds like a choice."
Like many high-profile divorces, this one involves a lot of money. West, who has a lucrative deal with Adidas for his Yeezy sneaker brand, has an estimated $1.8 billion net worth, according to Forbes. And Kardashian West, who owns cosmetics company KKW Beauty and shapewear brand Skims, is worth an estimated $1 billion.
During the divorce, Kardashian West has been living at the couple's $60 million mansion in Hidden Hills, California, while West splits his time between Los Angeles and Wyoming, where he owns two ranches, according to People.
- Airlines can now operate 85% of pre-Covid domestic flights, says Aviation Ministry
- Yes Bank-DHFL case: No sympathy, says court, Rana Kapoor's wife, daughters remanded to judicial custody
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh resigns amid ongoing turmoil in Congress
- Future of Work 2021: Work from home is here now, but people demand some physical sense at work
- Deadline for PAN-Aadhaar linkage extended till March 2022