Kate Winslet rescheduled filming the 'Ammonite' sex scene so it would land on Saoirse Ronan's birthday
Kate Winsletsaid she purposely rescheduled shooting the sex scene in " Ammonite" so it would fall on her costar Saoirse Ronan's birthday.
- "I just wanted her to have, frankly, a great memory in her film life, regardless of how the scene played out or the movie turned out," the 45-year-old actress told
EntertainmentWeekly on Tuesday.
- Winslet, who plays a paleontologist who falls in love with a housewife (Ronan) in the 19th-century period piece, said she was confident they'd have a positive experience filming the scene.
- "I knew that it would be [great] just because of the experience that we would share together," she said. "I knew that it would be very equal."
The 45-year-old Oscar-winning actress said she rescheduled shooting the film's sex scene so it would land on Ronan's birthday."I just wanted her to have, frankly, a great memory in her film life, regardless of how the scene played out or the movie turned out," Winslet told Entertainment Weekly on Tuesday.
And though the film's writer and director, Francis Lee, was "really nervous" about getting a particular no-holds-barred sex scene between the women right, Winslet said she was confident that she and Ronan would have a positive experience."I knew that it would be [great] just because of the experience that we would share together," she said. "I knew that it would be very equal."
Winslet said she and Ronan exercised complete control over the scene and choreographed their own movements. The "Revolutionary Road" actress also said only women were allowed in the room while they filmed.Winslet, who said Ronan was following a "similar career path" to her own, explained that it helped that she and the "Little Women" star were "on the same page" about their overarching vision. "I just could feel that Saoirse and I had the same ideas in terms of what we wanted to express in the scene," she said, continuing, "the emotional underpinning of the scene, the connection between these two women — which is, of course, more important than anything in any love scene. We were on the same page in terms of that."
After being so involved with the scene from start to finish and saying she never felt "overpowered or overruled" by her costar, Winslet reflected on her previous intimate performances.
"I almost felt a little bit angry at myself when I thought about how, perhaps, I have conducted my own female self when I participated in intimate scenes in the past," she said.During an August interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Winslet said the sex scene in "Ammonite" made her the "proudest" and the "least self-conscious" she'd ever been after filming something so intimate.
"Ammonite" premieres on November 13. Watch the trailer below.
- 1.28 lakh people over 60 years get 1st dose of COVID vaccine on first day
- Chinese hackers target Indian vaccine makers SII and Bharat Biotech: Report
- GST revenue up 7% year-on-year in February to over ₹1.13 lakh crore
- Here is the list of common side-effects of COVID-19, so that you don't panic if you get these
- These are the top 10 likely IPOs scheduled in March 2021