Kim Kardashian calls out tabloids for comparing her to a whale and shaming her on a 'weekly basis' during her 1st pregnancy
- Kim Kardashian West said Friday that she gained 60 pounds while pregnant with North in 2013.
- She said the tabloids "shamed" her on a "weekly basis" and compared her to a whale.
- The stories made the SKIMS founder "so insecure" she didn't leave her house for months.
Kim Kardashian West called out numerous tabloids on Friday for publishing offensive stories about her pregnancy weight gain in 2013.
In a lengthy statement posted on her Instagram story, the SKIMS founder, 40, explained that she suffered from preeclampsia, a hypertensive disorder, while pregnant with her first daughter North West, who is now 7 years old.
The condition caused Kardashian West to "swell uncontrollably," she said. By the time she delivered the baby six weeks ahead of her due date, the reality star had gained 60 pounds.
"I cried every single day over what was happening to my body mainly from the pressures of being constantly compared to what society considered a healthy pregnant person should look like," she wrote.
Kardashian West continued, "As well as being compared to Shamu the Whale by the media."
—Pop Crave (@PopCrave) March 5, 2021
Kardashian West said she didn't leave her house for months due to the headlines
Kardashian West said tabloids "shamed" her weight gain "on a weekly basis," resulting in "insecurities so painful" that she didn't leave her house for months.
"It really broke me," she recalled.
More than seven years later, Kardashian West now has three more children - Saint, 5; Chicago, 3; and Psalm, 1 - with Kanye West, from whom she recently filed for divorce.
She reflected on the difficult period of time following her first pregnancy and said she's turned those "frustrating, embarrassing" feelings into "motivation."
"You just never fully know what someone is going through behind the scenes and I've learned through my own experiences that it's always better to lead with kindness," she said.
She posted several shocking tabloid covers about her body
Providing examples of the tabloid's aforementioned headlines, Kardashian West reposted various magazine covers about her 2013 pregnancy.
Many had the word "fat" emblazoned across paparazzi photos of her, while others compared her physique to fellow pregnant celebrities like Kate Middleton.
She continued to share a series of memes and jokes comparing her appearance to a whale.
The reality star spoke out after watching 'Framing Britney Spears'
Kardashian West told her followers that she'd "finally" watched The New York Times documentary "Framing Britney Spears," which highlights the negative effects the paparazzi and media had on the pop star's personal and professional life.
"It made me feel a lot of empathy for her," she wrote, adding, "The way the media played a big role in her life the way it did can be very traumatizing and it can really break even the strongest person."
"Framing Britney Spears" has drummed up a large web of controversy following its February 2021 release, as many fans and celebrities, like Kardashian West, are rehashing wrongdoings from years ago.
People have demanded apologies from Diane Sawyer, Justin Timberlake, and Sarah Silverman for their treatment of Spears, for example. And several of David Letterman's old interviews with female celebrities have gone viral for their inappropriate nature.
After Paris Hilton, who was close friends with both Spears and Kardashian West in the early 2000s, watched the documentary, she called out both Silverman and Letterman for making inappropriate comments and jabs about her years ago.
"There's no way that would happen today," she said while discussing her 2007 "Late Show With David Letterman" interview on a recent episode of "This Is Paris."
Hilton added, "It's such a different world now."
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- Wipro, Infosys, Tech Mahindra revoke offer letters given to freshers: Reports
- Reliance Jio and Airtel 5G prices may be affordable for now but expected to increase after wider rollout
- Redmi Pad Review: A decent tablet for the masses
- Electronics Mart India IPO is subscribed 1.69 times on day 1
- Big B’s best movies are back on the big screens - Here are 11 you can watch
- Reliance Jio to begin beta trial of 5G in four cities on Dussehra with unlimited data
- With 950 billionaires, Asia outnumbers all other regions: Forbes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World