Lorde says it's 'sexist' and 'frankly insulting' how much credit people give Jack Antonoff for her music
Lordeopened up about her relationship with Jack Antonoffin an interview with the New York Times.
- Antonoff coproduced Lorde's new album "Solar Power," but she said he "deferred" to her vision.
- "I haven't made a Jack Antonoff record," she said, adding, "To give him that amount of credit is frankly insulting."
The two musicians have been working together for seven years. Antonoff coproduced Lorde's sophomore album, 2017's "Melodrama," as well as her forthcoming follow-up, "Solar Power."
As Pitchfork's Quinn Moreland wrote, "Antonoff's perceived grip over the introspective pop girlies has given birth to many memes at this point," and some fans believe "his omnipresence has flattened the sound of that niche between mainstream pop and indie
However, Lorde strongly objects to the notion that she's one of several female musicians in "Jack's stable."
"I haven't made a Jack Antonoff record," she told New York Times reporter Joe Coscarelli. "I've made a Lorde record and he's helped me make it and very much deferred to me on production and arrangement. Jack would agree with this. To give him that amount of credit is frankly insulting."
According to Coscarelli, she used the terms "retro" and "sexist" to describe the narrative, "which has also included speculation about the pair's romantic and sexual life."
Back in 2018, Antonoff dismissed dating rumors as "heteronormative gossip," while Lorde simply told fans, "He's awesome, but we're not dating."
"No one who's in a job that isn't my job has a relationship like the one I have with Jack," Lorde told Coscarelli. "He's like a partner to me. We're in a relationship. It's not a romantic relationship, but we've been in it for seven years, and it's a really unique thing, so I don't begrudge people maybe not being able to understand it."
She also said there are "certain hallmarks" of Antonoff's production that she likes, and some that she does not.
"I beat them out of the work that we do together," she explained. "I say this with so much love and affection, but I feel like we're doing up a house together and he's like, 'Look at this serviette that I fashioned into the shape of two swans! Look at this set of woven baskets!' And I'm like, 'Great - one per room.'"
Lorde's third studio album "Solar Power" will be released on August 20. Read Insider's full breakdown of what to expect here.
- Towards a Greener Footprint: Prioritising Carbon-Neutrality Makes Good Businesses Sense! Are Indian Firms Making the Transition?
- Netflix confirms an ad supported tier is coming to its streaming service by year end
- Accenture, Cognizant could see revenue growth but a strong US dollar could spoil the party
- Kharif sowing is off to a weak start with extended dry spells and floods
- Best ladder for home use in India