Lorde says it's 'sexist' and 'frankly insulting' how much credit people give Jack Antonoff for her music
Lordeopened up about her relationship with Jack Antonoffin an interview with the New York Times.
- Antonoff coproduced Lorde's new album "Solar Power," but she said he "deferred" to her vision.
- "I haven't made a Jack Antonoff record," she said, adding, "To give him that amount of credit is frankly insulting."
The two musicians have been working together for seven years. Antonoff coproduced Lorde's sophomore album, 2017's "Melodrama," as well as her forthcoming follow-up, "Solar Power."
As Pitchfork's Quinn Moreland wrote, "Antonoff's perceived grip over the introspective pop girlies has given birth to many memes at this point," and some fans believe "his omnipresence has flattened the sound of that niche between mainstream pop and indie
However, Lorde strongly objects to the notion that she's one of several female musicians in "Jack's stable."
"I haven't made a Jack Antonoff record," she told New York Times reporter Joe Coscarelli. "I've made a Lorde record and he's helped me make it and very much deferred to me on production and arrangement. Jack would agree with this. To give him that amount of credit is frankly insulting."
According to Coscarelli, she used the terms "retro" and "sexist" to describe the narrative, "which has also included speculation about the pair's romantic and sexual life."
Back in 2018, Antonoff dismissed dating rumors as "heteronormative gossip," while Lorde simply told fans, "He's awesome, but we're not dating."
"No one who's in a job that isn't my job has a relationship like the one I have with Jack," Lorde told Coscarelli. "He's like a partner to me. We're in a relationship. It's not a romantic relationship, but we've been in it for seven years, and it's a really unique thing, so I don't begrudge people maybe not being able to understand it."
She also said there are "certain hallmarks" of Antonoff's production that she likes, and some that she does not.
"I beat them out of the work that we do together," she explained. "I say this with so much love and affection, but I feel like we're doing up a house together and he's like, 'Look at this serviette that I fashioned into the shape of two swans! Look at this set of woven baskets!' And I'm like, 'Great - one per room.'"
Lorde's third studio album "Solar Power" will be released on August 20. Read Insider's full breakdown of what to expect here.
- Tech majors are also the companies that employ the highest number of women
- Bahamas, Taiwan, Malta & more: Here are 10 countries offering digital nomad visa
- Maruti Suzuki cars will get costlier from January 2023
- Paytm’s optimistic growth projections boost sentiments, shares climb nearly 8%
- India stands like oasis in era of uncertainty amid global inflation, says SBI Research
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World