Mj Rodriguez just made history as the first trans person nominated for a major acting Emmy
Mj Rodriguezis the first trans person to be nominated for a major acting award at the Emmys.
- Rodriguez was recognized in the best lead actress in a drama category for her role on "
- Last year, the Television Academy was criticized for repeatedly snubbing the
trans actorson "Pose."
"Pose" star Mj Rodriguez just became the first transgender woman ever nominated for best lead actress in a drama at the Emmys and the first trans performer ever nominated for any major acting category at the awards show, Variety reports.
The upcoming 73rd annual Emmy Awards nominations were announced on Tuesday morning, when Rodriguez's nod was revealed.
Rodriguez, who plays Blanca Evangelista on the
Rodriguez's costar Billy Porter was also nominated for best actor in a drama this year for his performance on "Pose." Last year, Porter was the sole acting nominee recognized for the FX series, which follows the stories of Black and brown gay and trans New Yorkers living during the ballroom era and through the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s and early '90s. The third season was the show's last, and its series finale aired in June.
Last year, the Television Academy was criticized for repeatedly snubbing all of the Black trans and nonbinary stars in "Pose."
You can read the full list of nominees here.
The Emmy Awards will air on Sunday, September 19 at 8 p.m. ET on CBS. First-time host Cedric the Entertainer will lead the show's in-person event at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California.
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report