Regé-Jean Page reportedly turned down an offer of up to $250,000 to make guest appearances on 'Bridgerton' season 2
- Regé-Jean Page reportedly declined a lucrative offer to guest star on season 2 of "Bridgerton."
- He was asked to be on three to five episodes for $50,000 each, sources told The Hollywood Reporter.
- According to the article, the actor turned down the opportunity for "a multitude of reasons."
After news broke that Regé-Jean Page will not reprise his role as Simon Basset, the Duke of Hastings, on "Bridgerton," many fans hoped the British actor would at least make a brief cameo on season two.
But, according to an article The Hollywood Reporter published on Tuesday, the odds of seeing the beloved nobleman around the ton again are dwindling, if not non-existent.Anonymous sources close to the show told the outlet that "Bridgerton" production contacted Page's team in January or February to make a return offer, as the "Mortal Engines" actor had emerged as a fan-favorite on the record-breaking Netflix original series.
Page turned the offer down for a "multitude of reasons," per the sources, which likely include his character's minor role in future seasons and the actor's busy filming schedule for upcoming projects.His character would largely take the backseat on "Bridgerton" anyway since the show is following Julia Quinn's book series and moving on from Daphne Bridgerton (Phoebe Dynevor) and Simon to focus on Anthony Bridgerton (Jonathan Bailey).
Plus, Page's film career has taken off following his success on "Bridgerton," and he's already secured roles in major projects like Netflix's "The Gray Man" and Paramount's "Dungeons & Dragons." It's possible that scheduling conflicts got in the way of future "Bridgerton" cameos.Representatives for Page and Netflix did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment. Page's departure from Netflix and Shondaland's wildly popular Regency-era drama came as a shock to many, as the "Sylvie's Love" actor was the breakout star of season one.
However, Page told Variety that he signed a one-year contract going into the project, which he viewed as a "limited series" since the duke's character arc had "a beginning, middle, end."
"I get to come in, I get to contribute my bit and then the Bridgerton family rolls on," he said.Sources told The Hollywood Reporter that "nearly everyone close to the show" was aware of Page's one-year deal, especially since they knew the second season would follow Quinn's book "The Viscount Who Loved Me," which centers around Anthony.
Dynevor, Page's costar and on-screen love interest, will reprise her role as Daphne on season two as a "devoted wife and sister, helping her brother navigate the upcoming social season and what it has to offer."
Though Page declined the opportunity to extend his role on "Bridgerton," he shared a heartfelt tribute to the cast, crew, and fans on social media after Shondaland and Netflix announced his departure."The ride of a life time," he began, continuing, "It's been an absolute pleasure and a privilege to be your Duke. Joining this family - not just on screen, but off screen too. Our incredibly creative and generous cast, crew, outstanding fans - it's all been beyond anything I could have imagined. The love is real and will just keep growing."
The actor seemed to leave the show on positive terms, with "Bridgerton" creator and showrunner Chris Van Dusen calling it a "true privilege" to write Page's character.
"Writing the Duke of Hastings for this series has been a true privilege and I'll forever cherish His Grace's #Bridgerton reign. Thank you to the fans for embracing him and to @regejean for bringing him to life in such beautifully moving and memorable ways," he wrote.Shonda Rhimes, who executive produces "Bridgerton" as part of her $150 million Netflix deal and previously worked with Page on "For The People," also bid adieu to the duke.
"Remember: the Duke is never gone," she tweeted, adding, "He's just waiting to be binge watched all over again."
- Chris Gayle appears four times in the top 10 list of most sixes hit in an IPL match
- Up-close and not so personal with Munnar’s pit vipers, gliding frogs and more
- Haryana government extends lockdown in the state till May 24
- UK's Cairn Energy identifies $70 billion Indian assets for seizing to recover amount due from government
- States to receive nearly 51 lakh COVID-19 vaccine doses in next three days, says Union Health Ministry