Serena Williams said her daughter only spent one 24-hour period away from her in 5 years
- Serena Williams told Vogue she only spent one 24-hour period away from her daughter in 5 years.
- The tennis star and world's richest female athlete announced her retirement on Tuesday.
Serena Williams reached four grand slam finals in the last five years — and rarely missed a moment with her daughter through her busy schedule.
In an interview with Vogue, the tennis superstar said her "hands-on" approach to parenting means she only spent one 24-hour period away from her daughter in the last five years.
"I'm also an incredibly hands-on mother. My husband will tell you I am too hands-on," Williams said. "In five years, Olympia has only spent one 24-hour period away from me."
Williams announced she will retire from tennis after competing in this year's US Open match. She will spend her time growing her family and expanding her investment firm, Serena Ventures.
Williams gave birth to Olympia in 2017. She won her seventh women's title at the Australian Open while pregnant.
The world's richest female athlete has spoken publicly about life-threatening complications that arose during childbirth. Williams, who has a history of blood clots, said she had to convince doctors and nurses to check for clots in her lungs.
The clot in her lung led to "intense coughing" that caused her C-section wound to rupture. Doctors also found clotted blood in her abdomen that required additional surgery.
Williams told Vogue she and her husband, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, are trying to have another child. She said she "definitely" does not want to be pregnant again as an athlete.
"I never wanted to have to choose between tennis and a family. I don't think it's fair," Williams said. "If I were a guy, I wouldn't be writing this because I'd be out there playing and winning while my wife was doing the physical labor of expanding our family."
- Over 60 schools in and around Bengaluru receive bomb threat, students evacuated safely
- TVS Motor Co sales rise 31% to 3,64,231 units in November
- Johnny Depp unknowingly taught Ranveer Singh the craft of acting
- Midcap index rising for last 21 sessions, hitting fresh highs since November 16
- Global smartwatch shipments up 9% in Q3, Fire-Boltt & Huawei hit new highs: Report