Shawn Mendes says his friendship with Matthew McConaughey began after he slid into the actor's DMs seeking life advice
Shawn Mendesand Matthew McConaugheyparticipated in a virtual interview for Monday night's episode of CBS' "The Late Late Show With James Corden" and spoke about how their friendship started.
- Mendes said that he initiated it after direct messaging McConaughey and asking for his phone number.
- The 22-year-old singer said that he had been a fan of the actor for years and wanted life advice on how to "take the blame when things go wrong [and] take the glory when things go right."
"I messaged him a few times on Instagram, I asked for his phone number, and then I was like 'I gotta call,'" the 22-year-old singer continued. "It was like a desperate need for advice, and that's how the friendship started."
McConaughey added that they "hit it off pretty quickly" when they started communicating.
"I think I may have been a fan of yours before you were a fan of mine," the actor told Mendes. "I don't know how long you've been a fan of mine, but I was a fan of your music before you called."
Mendes said that his adoration for the Oscar-winning actor dates back to his childhood in Canada, when he had braces and "no one ever knew my name."
When asked about the details of their conversation, McConaughey said that they chatted about where Mendes was at the time and shared similar stories.
"We started talking [and] I immediately saw somebody," the actor recalled. "I was like, 'Wow, this is a really conscientious young man. He's really focused, self-determined, he's sort of an old soul."
McConaughey went on to say that he was impressed by Mendes' willingness to "challenge himself professionally and personally."
Mendes, for his part, said that he reached out to McConaughey for advice on how to "take the blame when things go wrong, take the glory when things go right."
The "Wonder" singer said that McConaughey told him, "you have to be the author of your own life," which has stuck with him ever since their conversation.
- Better.com CEO accused hundreds of the 900 people he laid off on Zoom of 'stealing' by working only 2 hours daily
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Indian government is reportedly looking to regulate work from home with a comprehensive framework
- India's income inequality is so bad that's weighing down the avg in both South Asia and SouthEast Asia
- Meet the Indian-origin women CEOs who are leading the way for major global companies
- SuperRare NFT sells for more than $2 million — a 20,000-fold increase in value over three years
- Microsoft to skill 1 lakh Indians in cybersecurity by 2022
- Love procrastinating? It can help you earn Rs 1 lakh by applying for Chief Excuse Officer at Cultbike.fit