Steven Spielberg thinks 2008's 'The Dark Knight' deserved a best picture nomination
- Director Steven Spielberg's "The Fabelmans" was nominated for seven Oscars this year.
- Spielberg told Deadline the 2009 expansion of best picture nominees to 10 films was a good thing.
Ten movies are up for best pictures at the 2023 Academy Awards, including major box-office hits like "Avatar: The Way of the Water" and acclaimed director Steven Spielberg's drama "The Fabelmans." Speaking with Deadline after the nominees were announced, Spielberg said the 2009 switch that allowed the academy to nominate up to 10 movies for best picture has been good for the industry.
"It came late for the films that should have been nominated a number of years ago, Christopher Nolan's, 'The Dark Knight,'" Spielberg told Deadline. "That movie would have definitely garnered a best picture nomination today."
The acclaimed director was happy to see "Avatar: Way of the Water" along with "Top Gun: Maverick" in the best picture category this year, given the movies' record-breaking ticket sales. "The Fabelmans" has grossed about $21,000,000 worldwide since its November 2022 release.
"Having these two blockbusters solidly presented on the top 10 list is something we should all be celebrating," Spielberg said.
When the Academy Awards first began in the 1930s, anywhere from eight to 12 movies could be nominated for best picture. The Associated Press reports that this rule was changed in 1944 when five became the limit. In 2009 it was expanded to 10.
Spielberg has won three Oscars and has been nominated many more times in his storied career. This year he's up for best director and best picture for "The Fabelmans."
The 95th Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, March 12 beginning at 8 p.m. ET. Read the full list of nominations here.
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life