The best men's overshirts
- When there's a chill in the air but it isn't cold enough for a heavy jacket, it's time for an overshirt.
- The best overall goes to the Everlane Heavyweight Overshirt for its workmanship, price point and clean, slightly boxy look that stays true to the style's utilitarian roots while remaining thoroughly modern.
The overshirt, also known as the shirt jacket or "shacket," is a fall and spring staple that combines the best of a shirt and a jacket. It's lighter than a coat, heavier than a typical button-up shirt, and a bit dressier than a hoodie since its collared. It's the perfect layering option for both spring and fall.
This apparel style derives from 19th-century workwear that is worn over street clothes to keep them from getting dirty. The overshirt continues to retain a bit of a utilitarian feel, with a dash of the outdoorsy and a streetwear aesthetic thrown in for good measure. It's generally roomier than a regular shirt since it's made to be worn as a jacket or mid-layer.What also differentiates an overshirt from a regular shirt is the heavier material, which can be anything from flannel to denim or corduroy. Other features include the use of oversized pockets and larger buttons or the addition of a zipper closure. The overshirt category encompasses a broad range, from more shirt-like versions in mid-weight cotton to others that are more jacket-like and have linings. There are even quilted versions. Advertisement
In terms of style, the overshirt's potential is nearly limitless. Wear it like a regular shirt or unbuttoned with a T-shirt underneath; as a mid-layer with a heavier jacket on top; or as a jacket with a collared shirt or turtleneck beneath. It pairs really well with jeans and other five-pocket pants, chinos, or even dress pants (depending on the style of overshirt you choose). I typically wear mine like an unstructured blazer with a turtleneck and chinos or with a thinner button-up shirt underneath, jeans, and a bandana for a bit of a throwback workwear look.
The Everlane Heavyweight Overshirt takes best overall for its workmanship, price point, and clean, slightly boxy look that stays true to the style's utilitarian roots while remaining thoroughly modern.
Here are the best men's overshirts you can buy:
- Best men's overshirt overall: Everlane Heavyweight Overshirt
- Best overshirt on a budget: Wrangler Authentics Men's Quilted Lined Flannel Shirt Jacket
- Best overshirt for sustainability and versatility: Outerknown Blanket Shirt
- Best overshirt for chores: Patagonia Farrier's Shirt
- Best for dressing up: Ted Baker Regle Over Shirt
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SEBI issues procedural guidelines for proxy advisors
- Bandhan Bank promoter sells 21% stake to meet RBI norms
- Air India pilots allege blatant discrimination by management
- Reliance Industries and bank shares tumble and topple Sensex as bears look to clear the froth in the price
- Twitter plans 'Undo Send' button with paid subscription service