The first images of the PlayStation 5 controller reveal a familiar design with 2 major changes
- A patent application published in Japan has revealed the design of Sony's PlayStation 5 controller.
- The PS5 controller is similar in design to the PlayStation 4 controller, but with a USB-C charging port and without the PlayStation 4 controller's colored light bar.
- The PlayStation 5 controller will also support haptic feedback, and has a larger battery than the PS4 controller.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Sony says the PlayStation 5 controller's haptic feedback will offer more sophisticated "rumble" effects than the PS4 controller. Game designers will be able to adjust the sensitivity of the haptic motors and the controller's triggers to match the action in-game, so the feeling of firing different guns or handling the wheel of a car will feel distinct.The PlayStation 5 controller will have a USB-C charging port, moving on from the PS4 controller's USB Micro-B connection. The PS5 will also get rid of the colored light bar on the top of the controller - the PS4 light bar offered customizable ambient lighting to match the game being played, but also drained the controller's battery with extended use.
Sony product manager Toshi Aoki told Wired that the PlayStation 5 controller will have an improved battery life, but the larger battery and haptic motors make the controller a bit heavier. It will still be a bit lighter than Microsoft's Xbox One controller, however.While PlayStation 5 will able to play PlayStation 4 games, it's unclear if it will be backwards compatible with the PlayStation 4 controller. A handful of games for PlayStation 4 allowed players to use their PlayStation 3 controllers.Images of the PlayStation 5 development kit surfaced in October, showing off an early prototype of Sony's upcoming console. Video game developers already have their hands on the hardware and have been working on games to launch alongside the PlayStation 5 next year.
Here's a closer look at the PlayStation 5 controller:
A front view of the PlayStation 5 controller
Here's the rear of the PlayStation 5 controllerAdvertisement
This side view shows where the PlayStation 5 controller's internal hardware sits.
Another side view of the PlayStation 5 controller showing the exterior.Advertisement
The bottom of the PlayStation 5 Controller has different inputs than the PlayStation 5 controller, but it looks like there's still a 3.5mm headphone jack.
The top view of the PlayStation 5 Controller shows a USB-C charging port, but it doesn't have the colored light bar of the PlayStation 4 controller.Advertisement
One last angled look at the PlayStation 5 controller.
- Microsoft's software is being targeted by Chinese hackers -- and they're going after law firms, NGOs, defence contractors and others
- Education, skill, research, innovation second biggest focus of budget after health: PM at webinar on budget provisions for higher education. PTI KR ASK DV DV
- Union Budget has broadened our efforts to link education with employability and entrepreneurial capability:PM Modi at webinar on education. PTI KR ASK DV DV
- India records 14,989 new COVID-19 cases in last 24 hours
- Patient with underlying disease dies after getting AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in South Korea