'The Sopranos' creator is 'extremely angry' his prequel movie is premiering on HBO Max the same time it's in theaters: 'It was designed to be a movie'
- Chase said he never thought
HBOwould be the first place people would see his "Sopranos" prequel.
- "People should go see it in a theater," he told Deadline. "It was designed to be a movie."
The Many Saints of Newark" is available in theaters and on HBO Max October 1.
"Extremely angry," Chase told Deadline when asked about his thoughts on the movie's day-and-date release. "And I still am."
Fourteen years after HBO aired the polarizing finale of the show that looked inside the life of Tony Soprano (played by James Gandolfini) and his mafia empire, Chase, who is the co-screenwriter and one of the producers of the movie, admits he never imagined the cable channel would be where people would watch the prequel film for the first time.
"They don't have to shed that television image before you get people to the theater. But we do," he continued. "And that's where we're at. People should go see it in a theater. It was designed to be a movie."
He added: "It's beautiful as a movie. I never thought that it would be back on HBO. Never."
"The Many Saints of Newark" follows Tony Soprano (played by Gandolfini's son, Michael) as a young teen growing up in Newark, New Jersey, as he observes the bloody war among mafia families going on in the city around him.
The movie also stars Alessandro Nivola, Ray Liotta, Vera Farmiga, Leslie Odom Jr., Jon Bernthal, and Corey Stoll. It will be in theaters and available on HBO Max on October 1.
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Banks in India may have to fight harder for deposits
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list