These upcoming movies from Akshay Kumar, Aamir Khan and Ajay Devgn will get a boost as PVR, INOX and other screens in Maharashtra open next month
- Shares of multiplex chains
Inox Leisure, PVRrallied on Monday as Maharashtra reopens theatres from October 22.
- With this, movies like Sooryavanshi,
Bunty Aur Babli 2, Shahid Kapoor-starrer Jersey, Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha can be viewed in theatres.
- Maharashtra is one of the biggest markets for the theatre industry as it contributes 25-30% to a Hindi film's box office collections.
Theatres and auditoriums will be reopened in Maharashtra from October 22, Thackeray tweeted on September 25.
Theatres and auditoriums in Maharashtra will open after 22nd October 2021 while observing all COVID safety protocols. SOP is in the works and will be declared soon.— CMO Maharashtra (@CMOMaharashtra) September 25, 2021
This is positive news for multiplex companies as the state reportedly contributes 25-30% to a Hindi film's box office collections, making it key to big Bollywood releases. In fact, shares of PVR, Inox Leisure rallied on stock exchanges on Monday as investors showed their excitement of theatres reopening.
On Monday, shares of multiplex companies PVR and Inox Leisure surged to reach their 52-week high of ₹1,662.20 and ₹412.20 respectively.
“Opening of Maharashtra is specifically significant because 18% of our screen strength lies in the state, the highest in our circuit and serves as a focal centre for the entertainment industry," said Gautam Dutta, chief executive officer (CEO), PVR to Moneycontrol.
Alok Tandon, CEO, INOX Leisure reportedly said that with this announcement, content producers would also plan their releases, which should strengthen the Hindi film content pipeline in the months to come and usher in better health for the cinema exhibition industry.
The green signal to screen movies in theatres in Maharashtra led to many announcements from movie makers. Reportedly,
The much awaited Ranveer Singh’s sports drama movie ‘83’ will be screened on Christmas this year in theatres. Another sports movie ‘Jersey’ starring Shahid Kapoor will release on December 31, 2021. Meanwhile, Suniel Shetty’s son Ahan Shetty's debut film Tadap is slated to release on December 3.
- Akshay Kumar's Prithviraj on January 21
- Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha on Valentine's Day
- Ranveer Singh's Jayeshbhai Jordaar on February 25.
- Akshay’s Bachchan Pandey on March 4
- Ranbir Kapoor’s Shershaah on March 18
- Kartik Aaryan’s Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 on March 25
- KGF 2 set for April 14
- Ajay Devgn's Mayday on April 29
- Tiger Shroff's Heropanti 2 on May 6
SEE ALSO: Reliance Industries’ shares hit record high, trading at over ₹2500 in early morning trade
Zee Entertainment shares fall 3% in today’s trade as Invesco insists the board to hold EGM before Sony deal
Those who have held these stocks for a decade have only lost money
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani