Ajay Devgn’s Tanhaji moves the masses while Chhapaak fails to make a splash
- Deepika Padukone’s
Chhapaakis struggling to cross the ₹20 crore mark.
- On the other hand, Devgn’s Tanhaji crossed ₹50 crore on its opening weekend.
- Tanhaji left Chhapaak behind in the first two days when it earned ₹35 crore.
Deepika Padukone’s Chhapaak has made less than twice the collections of its rival release - Ajay Devgn’s Tanhaji. Ahead of the festive season, the audience seems to be in the mood for a war saga instead of the real-life story of an acid attack victim.
View all Offers
View all Offers
Chhapaak earned as much as ₹18.50 crore during the weekend while Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior’s collections crossed the ₹50 crore mark.
Tanhaji left Chhapaak behind in the first two days itself as it earned ₹35 crore against ₹11 crore by Chhapaak. And looks like the Devgn movie might achieve the ₹100 crore status.
Advertisement“The growth is superb on Sunday with collections going up 30%. It makes it even better that the competition and holdover releases have not grown much on Sunday.” reported Box Office India.
#Chhapaak is ordinary on Day 1... Collects well at select high-end multiplexes... Biz at Tier-2 and 3 cities and al… https://t.co/RYKf3DKiX5— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) 1578726776000
Big Budget Tanhaji has a lot riding on it. However, the endgame of each of these movies might be different. Tanhaji was made on a massive budget of ₹150 crore, while Chhapaak is a medium budget movie spending anywhere between ₹35-40 crore.
Chhapaak is also released only on 1500 screens, half that of Tanhaji.
Both these movies had unexpected competition from multiple South movies that released the same weekend to capture the festival season of Sankranti. While Telugu movie goers are busy with Allu Arjun’s Ala Vaikunthapurramloo - Rajnikanth’s Darbar is dominating Tamil Nadu theatres.
The movie is known to have made as much as ₹34 crore on the first day only. However, the movie is not expected to become a massive hit unlike his movies Robot 2 which had brought North Indian audiences in droves.
Popular on BI
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Shiba Inu hits another all-time-high — now more valuable than Adani Enterprises, Tata Steel and Tech Mahindra
- Shiba Inu is not only bigger than Dogecoin — it’s now bigger than XRP, Polkadot and USD Coin as the seventh-biggest player in the market
- Best budget external hard disk drives under ₹4,000 in India
- IRCTC will lose a chunk of its revenue to the Indian government starting next month
- EaseMyTrip makes its first acquisition in 13 years to strengthen its hotel offerings
- Portugal''s political fate uncertain after govt budget defeat
- Battlegrounds Mobile India gets Dune-themed rewards in new crossover