Epstein used his jail bed sheet to commit suicide by hanging while his guards slept, according to report
- Accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide after he used his bed sheet to hang himself while in federal custody, according to the official coroner's report on his cause of death.
- Epstein was on the floor of his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center when he tied his bed sheet into a noose and used it to hang himself, breaking several bones in his neck in the process.
- The circumstances surrounding Epstein's death have fueled the fires of conspiracy, but medical experts say the method of suicide isn't suspicious.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The New York Times reports that accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein tied his jail bed sheet around his neck and used it to hang himself, breaking several bones in the process, while in federal custody at the Metropolitan Correctional Center.
Initial autopsy reports that revealed Epstein broke several bones in his neck, including his hyoid, a U-shaped bone in the front and middle of the neck, led conspiracists to suspect foul play. The bone can be broken during suicide by hanging, but is more commonly associated with strangulation, although medical experts and the coroner who oversaw Epstein's autopsy say he died by suicide.
Specifically, Epstein knelt on the floor of his cell with the bed sheet around his neck and used it to hang himself while the two guards tasked with overseeing him supposedly slept, The New York Times reported. Epstein was found unconscious at around 6:30 AM, after three hours of not being checked on.
MCC staffers tried to revive the convicted sex offender and wealthy financier before he was transported to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead. He was being held without bail on charges of sex trafficking of minors and conspiracy.
His legal team announced it would investigate the circumstances surrounding Epstein's death, along with the Southern District of New York that charged him, the Office of the Inspector General overseen by Attorney General William Barr, and the FBI.
The MCC has dealt with understaffing under President Donald Trump's administration, and has been unable to hire new correctional officers. The two staffers on guard at the time of Epstein's suicide included one retired correctional officer who was volunteering.
The Times also reported that Epstein's cell had a small window, which gave him view of the guards' desk, so Epstein may have noticed them sleeping before he was able to hang himself on his bed sheet. Epstein had previously been on suicide watch for six days after an earlier apparent suicide attempt, but had been taken off and was subject to regular psychiatric check-ups.
If you or someone you know is struggling with depression or has had thoughts of harming themselves or taking their own life, get help. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) provides 24/7, free, confidential support for people in distress, as well as best practices for professionals and resources to aid in prevention and crisis situations.
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Chinese smartphone brands under scrutiny, government to check components, pre-installed apps: Report
- Bored Ape NFT sells for $2.7 million, making it the most expensive in Yacht Club collection
- Startup salaries have increased over 40% in the last six months
- Jio, Ola, Accenture, IBM and more are looking for data scientists across India
- Digital rights advocacy group IFF notices 70% drop in donors as banks unable to keep up with RBI’s recurring payments regulation
- Mariah Carey backs Bitcoin in a new partnership with the Winklevoss twins’ Gemini crypto exchange
- Indian Employees
- Data Science Job
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- OLA electric scooter
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons