Etsy usually has a great holiday season - but Amazon could ruin things this year
The holidays have traditionally been a special time for Etsy. As is the case with many retailers, Etsy's sales tend to spike during the holiday shopping season. But for the purveyor of handmade goods, the jump in sales has usually been especially dramatic, as we can see in this chart from Statista. To spur another big year, the company recently added some new features to its site, including a gift finder service, a gift-wrapping option, and free shipping on selected items.
However, Etsy's ability to reprise its holiday good fortune is an open question now that Amazon is aiming for a bigger piece of the homemade goods market. The e-commerce giant announced this week that products from its Amazon Handmade site will be available via its Prime Now delivery service until Christmas Eve. Late shoppers can use that option to place an order and have their gifts delivered within one or two hours - in plenty of time for Santa. That's great news for Amazon customers, but maybe not for Etsy.
Mike Nudelman/Business Insider
- Ukraine's drones are becoming increasingly ineffective as Russia ramps up its electronic warfare and air defenses
- 'Die-hard' Nintendo fan spent over $40,000 buying stock and then asked top executives why the company won't make more of a fan-favorite series
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- It’s not the CM seat but the one who wields ‘bow and arrow’ will be the Sena head
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report