Everything is red: Here's a super-quick guide to what traders are talking about right now
Dave Lutz, head of ETFs at JonesTrading, has an overview of today's markets.
- China's lack of interest in US Treasuries is sending most US assets lower.
- Much of the world is trading in the red.
- Jeffrey Gundlach gave a presentation Tuesday calling for the end of the bull market in 2018.
Morning, US futures were drifting just under the waterline early, then headlines "China Officials Are Said to View Treasuries as Less Attractive" accelerated selling in everything USA. The S&P is down 50bp, but with Treasuries getting hit and the Curve getting steep, Tech is taking it worst, with Nasdaq off 70bp. It's pretty red overseas, where the DAX is down nearly 1% as the Euro jumps - Fins the only sector holding a bid, but Healthcare weaker but nearly 2% and Exporters breaking lower. FTSE doing a touch better, up small, but we r seeing decent profit taking in the miners, while Homebuilders are getting whacked. Grocers continuing recent momentum behind Sainsbury's. Volumes are strong, with most EU Exchanges 50% above normal trends. In Asia, Nikkei finally retreats, losing 26bp - Hang Seng up 25bp -= Shanghai up 20bp - Taiwan hit for 70bp and KOSPI down 40bp as Sammy headers weighted on Tech in Asia
The US 10YY is nearing 2.6% on the China headers, adding fuel to "bond gods" comments in the last 24 hours about a bear market setting in. Better Chinese CPI certainly helped yields pop in Asia, but it's still about BOJ headers yesterday on cutting bond-buying. JGB's kiss 10bp before retreating, while the Yen remains strong, with $/Y smashing southside 112 to 6week lows. The Euro has jumped over $1.20 - while Good UK Manufacturing data was shrugged off, Sterling bid only by nature of Dollar weakness. Ore was off 50bp, after gaining 5% in 2018, and we have metals jumping now, led by Copper up 1.5% and Silver 1%, with Gold just behind. Oil adding to 3Y highs after a huge draw reported by API ahead of DOE data later toda
- From WhiteHat Jr, Big Basket, and Unacademy to Dunzo — these are the Indian startups that reported data leaks over the past few months
- Chennai volunteer for SII's Covid vaccine claims Rs 5 cr compensation for health complications
- ASEAN distances from China's Covid vaccine diplomacy
- Centre seeks 300-400 mn vaccine doses, says SII's Poonawalla
- Adar Poonawalla says SII will seek emergency use authorisation for AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in two weeks