Facebook's board backs COO Sheryl Sandberg over her calls to investigate George Soros
Drew Angerer/Getty Images
- Facebook's board has come out in support of COO Sheryl Sandberg.
- Sandberg has been under heavy criticism over her involvement in efforts to investigate George Soros and critics of Facebook.
- "When a well-known and outspoken investor attacks your company publicly, it is fair and appropriate to do this level of diligence," the board said.
Facebook's board has chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg's back.In a letter, the Silicon Valley tech giant's board supported Sandberg's controversial request to investigate George Soros and whether the billionaire investor philanthropist had shorted the company's stock after calling the social network a "menace to society."Advertisement
"To be clear, Sandberg's question was entirely appropriate given her role as COO," it said in a letter on Wednesday. "When a well-known and outspoken investor attacks your company publicly, it is fair and appropriate to do this level of diligence."
You can read the full letter on CNET here.The letter was sent by Facebook's general counsel Colin Stretch to Patrick Gaspard, president of Soros's Open Society Foundations. It comes as Sandberg weathers unprecedented scrutiny and criticism over her support of the Soros attacks, and her broader role in deflecting criticism and crises amid Facebook's mounting scandals - as detailed in a bombshell investigation from The New York Times.
The letter said Sandberg was being truthful when she said she did not know that the social network hired that public-relations firm, Definers, to explore Soros's criticisms of the company. Facebook has been criticized for playing into anti-Semitic tropes, after a public relation firm hired by the company attempted to smear critics by linking them to liberal billionaire George Soros.We've reached out to Facebook for comment and will update when we hear back.
Do you work at Facebook? Got a tip? Contact this reporter via Signal or WhatsApp at +1 (650) 636-6268 using a non-work phone, email at email@example.com, Telegram or WeChat at robaeprice, or Twitter DM at @robaeprice. (PR pitches by email only, please.) You can also contact Business Insider securely via SecureDrop.Advertisement
- Eight deaths, 1,892 new COVID-19 cases in Telangana
- Letter to Prez over DU not holding ECA trials in view of COVID-19
- Pvt labs starting TrueNat/CBNAAT based tests for COVID be encouraged for NABL seal: ICMR to states
- 2,520 fresh COVID cases in Delhi take tally to over 94K; death toll rises to 2,923
- Bengal's COVID-19 tally crosses 20,000-mark with record one-day spike of 669 cases