Fans of the legendary 'Diablo' game franchise are furious about a new game in the series: 'Is this an out of season April Fools joke?'
"Is this an out of season April Fools joke?" was probably the last question that representatives from Blizzard Entertainment expected to hear at their company's annual fan event, BlizzCon 2018.But that's exactly the question they got from a fan during a question-and-answer session over the weekend about the new "Diablo" game, "Diablo Immortal," a free-to-play game coming to smartphones. Advertisement
Lead designer Wyatt Cheng laughed it off as the massive crowd of attendees loudly applauded the question - a physical manifestation of the frustration many "Diablo" fans expressed over the new game.
Online, the reaction was far worse."Has Diablo Immortal killed your hope for the future of Diablo?" reads one popular thread on the "Diablo" Reddit forum.
And the backlash may have spooked Wall Street, too: For those keeping score at home, shares in Activision Blizzard were down almost 7% in trading on Monday.What in the world is going on? It's complicated.
Things started out politely enough:
From polite enthusiasm to outrage in just one night:Advertisement
"Do you guys not have phones?"
Expectation versus reality.Advertisement
Blizzard says "Diablo Immortal" is coming to both iOS and Android devices "soon." See the game for yourself right here:
- Netflix launches Hindi user interface in India — two years after Amazon Prime Video
- Vistara won't back out of contracts with Boeing and Airbus due to coronavirus impact
- COVID-19 cases in India cross 2 million
- Dr Kasturirangan, the mind behind the New Education Policy, used to head India’s space agency
- India’s national capital has unveiled its own incentives and policy to push more EVs