'Fiji Water Girl' went viral at the Golden Globes - and it's part of a brilliant marketing strategy more than a decade in the making
Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images for FIJI Water
- "Fiji Water Girl" went viral on Sunday, after a woman in a blue dress holding Fiji Water appeared in the background of numerous red-carpet photos at the Golden Globes.
- The viral success of Fiji Water Girl at the Golden Globes is part of a long-running marketing strategy for the bottled-water brand.
- Fiji Water has featured its bottled water and "brand ambassadors" in the background of awards shows and other high-profile events for more than a decade.
Fiji Water Girl's explosive rise to fame at the Golden Globes was actually more than a decade in the making.On Sunday evening, a woman wearing a blue dress holding Fiji Water appeared in the background of photo after photo on the red carpet at the awards ceremony.Advertisement
"Before the widening eyes of the internet, Fiji Water Girl - as she has become known - morphed into the year's first show-stopping meme," Business Insider reported.
Photo by Gabriel Olsen/Getty Images for FIJI Wate
Fiji Water made an appearance at Billboard's Women in Music event last month
Bennett Raglin/Getty Images for FIJI Water
Fiji Water Girls also lurked in the background of photos at the 2018 Independent Spirit Awards
Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic for FIJI Water
In fact, you could spot Fiji Water Girls back in 2012
Amy Sussman/WireImage for FIJI Water
"For more than a decade, Fiji Water has proudly maintained a presence at high-profile events, including major award shows, international film festivals and movie premieres," Fiji said in a statement.
"As the official water sponsor of the Golden Globes, Fiji Water, along with its Fiji Brand Ambassadors, hydrated guests on the red carpet and during the star-studded show," the statement continued. "Fiji Water will continue to hydrate more of Hollywood this coming awards season."With Fiji Water Girl going viral at 2019's first major awards event, one can only imagine the water brand is only going to get bolder as awards season continues.Advertisement
- Best PlayStation 4 games
- Profitable stocks in last one month—Lemon Tree, CG Power, Balaji Amines Limited, SBI Card
- HDFC Bank launches Shaurya KGC Card — a farm loan product for armed forces
- EXCLUSIVE: OYO’s new employee initiatives — weekend curfew with no calls or Slack messages, a surprise holiday, and discounted Curefit membership
- 926 personnel selected for police medals on Independence Day