HDFC seals world’s largest social loan worth $1.1 billion for affordable housing
- The loan has been priced at a margin of 90 bps over SOFR (Secured Overnight Financing Rate)
HDFChas financed 9.5 million housing units and has a gross loan book of ₹ 6.7 trillion since its inception.
- Japan’s largest bank MUFG Bank is the lead social loan coordinator for this transaction.
AdvertisementMortgage lender HDFC on Friday announced the completion of a $1.1 billion syndicated social loan facility, to finance affordable housing in
The lender calls it the world’s largest social loan. Social loans are especially curated by conglomerates like HDFC to finance projects that work towards a social cause or inspire a positive change across a sector.
The loan has been priced at a margin of 90 bps over SOFR (Secured Overnight Financing Rate), HDFC said in a statement. Proceeds from the social loan would go towards financing affordable housing loans.
Since its inception in 1977, HDFC has financed 9.5 million housing units and has a gross loan book of ₹6.7 trillion, HDFC added.
“Affordable housing links to nearly 300 industries. A boost to affordable housing will play a significant role towards the government’s ‘Housing for All’ objective. The aspiration to own a home is inherent in every household,,” Deepak
HDFC’s Social Financing Framework is designed for participants in the sustainability financing market to consistently certify and monitor the social impact of financing assets.
The HDFC social loan claims to have many other firsts to its credit – it’s India’s largest social financing issuance, it’s the first social ECB loan out of India and the largest ECB loan deal from a housing finance company/ private NBFC in India.
MUFG Bank is the lead social loan coordinator and a mandated lead arranger and borrowers (MLAB) for this deal. CTBC Bank Co. Ltd,
“In India, housing will play an important role as a catalyst for growth. Combined with India’s growth prospects, I have never been as optimistic about the affordable housing sector as I am today,” Parekh added.
SEE ALSO: Shakti’s Gati on interest rate hike to continue
Globalized inflation is a threat to global economy itself, says RBI guv Das
Popular on BI
- Mehmet Oz says he was 'exhausted' when he filmed viral 'Wegner's' gaffe, adding it's not a big deal because 'I've gotten my kids' names wrong as well'
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- New Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 brings premium SUV features in a compact car
- Best face scrubs for smooth and glowing skin in India
- Agnipath recruitment rally from Nov 22 to Dec 11 in Maha
- Realme 9i 5G vs Redmi Note 11 – price, specs and features compared
- This herb is the magic fertilizer needed to grow vegetables on Mars