13 countries that have only one billionaire
Michael Buckner/Getty Images
- There are approximately 2,153 billionaires in the world, according to Forbes.
- Many of them are concentrated in countries like the US, China, Germany, Russia, and the United Kingdom.
- But some countries, such as Iceland, Portugal, and Qatar, are home to only one billionaire.
- Business Insider scoured Forbes' billionaires list to determine which nations have just one billionaire and then compared each billionaire's wealth to the country's GDP.
- In Liechtenstein, the country's only billionaire is worth almost half of the GDP of the whole country.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In 2019, there are approximately 2,153 billionaires in the world, according to Forbes.Most of these ultra-wealthy individuals are concentrated in countries like the US, China, Germany, Russia, and the United Kingdom. The US is home to the highest number of billionaires: an estimated 705. That's followed by China with an estimated 285 billionaires, and Germany with 146.
In Liechtenstein, for example, the country's only billionaire is worth almost half of the GDP of the whole country. And the richest man in Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) is actually worth about $600 million more than his country's GDP.Here are 13 countries that have only one billionaire.
Algeria: Issad Rebrab
Angola: Isabel dos SantosAdvertisement
Georgia: Bidzina Ivanishvili
Iceland: Björgólfur Thor BjörgólfssonAdvertisement
Kuwait: Kutayba Alghanim
Liechtenstein: Christoph ZellerAdvertisement
Nepal: Binod Chaudhary
Portugal: Maria Fernanda AmorimAdvertisement
Qatar: Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani
Romania: Ion TiriacAdvertisement
Eswatini (formerly Swaziland): Nathan Kirsh
Tanzania: Mohammed DewjiAdvertisement
Zimbabwe: Strive Masiyiwa
- Connaught Place to remain shut as farmers' tractor parade turns violent
- After violent clashes with police, farmers swarm Red Fort
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar
- Protesting farmers break barricades at Delhi borders, entering the national capital ahead of time